cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Changes to requests and possible impact

Hi 

Our IT team are looking to improve the efficiency of how data from Canvas is imported into our data warehouse. The problem table is, unsurprisingly, requests and it is likely that a number of fileds will have to be removed in order to facilitate smoother downloads of data

The question I have is this - as requests is a 'roll up' of the data warehouse activity is it possible to obtain that data from elsewhere in the data tables?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

p.b.rothwell@ljmu.ac.uk, due to the technical nature of this question, I’ve made sure it’s shared with the Data and Analytics‌ and Canvas Developers‌ groups in the Community. You might consider joining these groups to gain access to their information and resources. 

Kona

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

p.b.rothwell@ljmu.ac.uk,

The Requests table is useful for gleaning insight into data that is less than transactional. Submissions, Discussion Replies, etc can all be tied to a table_dim. But the Requests table is the only table that can show you when users are just browsing content, not necessarily saving content. It also provides insights into other data points that aren't specifically part of the other tables so your purposes and reasons for exclusion or inclusion may vary.

For instance, the Requests table holds insight into API endpoints.

https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/28106-list-view-dashboard-usage-discovery#comment-121975

https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/28518-speedgrader

It's useful for figuring out active time/session length data...

The Problem with the Requests Table 

As you said, you could also remove or truncate columns after loading the data.

I like the HTTP status and method columns for troubleshooting my own API activity, but the http_version column is kinda useless to me.

The real user id column is great for auditing staff with masquerading permissions... so is just telling them you can Smiley Wink

But is also helps identify users who step into student view and try trouble shooting their courses

Indexes and partitions help as well, Requests Table 

Alternatively, Live Events is being setup to facilitate 'easier' requests than the log style that is the Requests table, and it has zero noise... and you can chose to ignore data you don't want.

Live Events Services - Table of Contents

Getting SQS message to SQL Database 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, p.b.rothwell@ljmu.ac.uk...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on January 11, 2019.  It looks like you got some feedback from carroll-ccsd a few days later...on January 14, 2019.  Have you had an opportunity to review Robert's feedback?  If so, did his reply help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your original question?  If you feel that Robert has helped to answer your question, please feel free to click on the "Mark Correct" button next to his response.  However, if you are still looking for some help, please let us know that by posting a message below so that someone from the Community might be able to help you out.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost five months.  However, that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Phillip.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.