Changing Canvas Desktop Startup

Jump to solution
drbobbailey
Community Member

When I start Canvas on my MacBook Pro with Chrome, it automatically goes to Files.

I would rather it started on the Dashboard.

Is this something my institution (Ontario Tech University) has baked in or can I change it, and if so, how?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
2 Solutions
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi Bob:

Since the default response by Canvas is to always open the dashboard on login, I strongly suspect that this is a customization by your school. Quite frankly, it is not a customization I can understand the reason for. I suggest contacting your school's Canvas Admin to find out. If this isn't the result of customization, then you will need to submit a support ticket.

Kelley

View solution in original post

Hello @drbobbailey ...

I agree with my friend, @kmeeusen on this one.  An additional thought I had for you...do you have a saved bookmark or shortcut in your browser that might be pointing to some other area of Canvas other than the Dashboard when you click on it?  You'd be able to tell if that's the case by looking at the URL of your bookmark/shortcut page.  It should look something like https://SchoolName.instructure.com.  If there is anything else in the URL besides that, try editing and removing the portion you don't need, and then see if that works the next time you log in to your school's Canvas environment.

I hope this extra bit of information will be of help to you.  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post