cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parmana
Learner

Changing a quiz from Average to Highest after students have taken it.

I accidentally marked a quiz with two attempts to score as the average of the attempts, but I want it to be the highest of the attempts.

I went into the quiz and changed it to keep the highest score, but the student's grades that took it already did not change.  Is there a way to change these grades after the fact?

6 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @parmana 

Yes you can, but you have to do it manually.

Tedious, but it does fix those errors we all make!

I hope this helps,

KLM

Ouch!  I hoped there was an automatic way, and not by hand.

Thanks for the reply. 

Hoping someone else has an automatic way to accomplish this!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@parmana ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

rgarcelo
Community Member

Has there been an update release feature for Quizzes in the last 1 1/2 years (since May 18, 2017)  that enables an automatic way (not manually one by one, by hand) to recalculate Quiz scores in the grade book from Average to Highest Score for all students who have already taken the quiz multiple times?

james_wallerste
Surveyor

This really needs to be changed! I just had this problem - changing the quiz grading from "average" to "highest" and adding a quiz attempt. Didn't change the scoring for students who'd already taken the quiz, as it should have.

Then, following the advice of this thread - to use SpeedGrader to manually add "Fudge Points" - I find that SpeedGrader does not show how many attempts the student has made but only has a See all quiz attempts link which shows up whether they only have 1 attempt or multiple attempts. Nothing on the screen indicates whether it's 1, 2 or more attempts.

So, you click the See all quiz attempts link and can see the details.  I just did that for the 1st student out of nearly 50 in my class. She only had one attempt, so no "Fudge points" to add. I then had to click a Back to quiz link to return to SpeedGrader but, guess what? Canvas dumps you out of SpeedGrader once you click the link. 

So, literally, no way to get past Student 1 using this method in SpeedGrader - really bad. 

@james_wallerste  

I agree that is problematic from within SpeedGrader. Here are some potential work-arounds to ease the pain.

When you click on "See all quiz attempts" either hold down the control (command) key or right click and tell it open in a new window.

You can also click on the Quiz Moderation link from the quiz page rather than going into SpeedGrader. It will show the Attempt or Attempts left and you can see which students have more than one attempt. If you then click (ctrl-click is better) on their name, then you can assign the fudge points.