cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vselles16
Community Member

Changing an assignment name after the due date - do I lose submissions?

Jump to solution

Hi, 

I've just changed the name of an assignment (from Week 10 HW to Week 9 HW), as I needed to put in Week 10 for the new assignment. This seems to have erased all submissions from the assignment.

Is there any way to recover these submitted files, or do I have to ask each student to resubmit individually?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @vselles16  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  As I understand your question, you changed the name of your assignment after students had submitted their work to you, and you changed the name after the assigned due date.  I tested this out in my own sandbox course (you could also do the same in your own course using the Test Student -- How do I view a course using a test student?), and I was unable to reproduce what you are experiencing.  Even after I submitted an assignment before the due date as a "dummy" student, I was still able to edit the assignment name and view all submissions for the now re-named assignment.  Nothing was deleted.  You may want to contact the folks at the Canvas Help Desk about this to see if they might be able to help you further.  You can find their contact information along the left hand side of your Canvas screen via the "Help" button.

Also, if I am interpreting your question correctly...it seems like you are using the same assignment item from week to week for having your students submit work to you...just changing the name of the week each time?  Is there a reason why you are not creating separate assignments for each "Week"?  That way, in your Gradebook, you would have one column for each "Week # HW", and you could keep all submissions for that particular week together.  Apologies if I am misinterpreting what you are doing.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Vitor.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @vselles16  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  As I understand your question, you changed the name of your assignment after students had submitted their work to you, and you changed the name after the assigned due date.  I tested this out in my own sandbox course (you could also do the same in your own course using the Test Student -- How do I view a course using a test student?), and I was unable to reproduce what you are experiencing.  Even after I submitted an assignment before the due date as a "dummy" student, I was still able to edit the assignment name and view all submissions for the now re-named assignment.  Nothing was deleted.  You may want to contact the folks at the Canvas Help Desk about this to see if they might be able to help you further.  You can find their contact information along the left hand side of your Canvas screen via the "Help" button.

Also, if I am interpreting your question correctly...it seems like you are using the same assignment item from week to week for having your students submit work to you...just changing the name of the week each time?  Is there a reason why you are not creating separate assignments for each "Week"?  That way, in your Gradebook, you would have one column for each "Week # HW", and you could keep all submissions for that particular week together.  Apologies if I am misinterpreting what you are doing.

I hope this information is helpful to you, Vitor.

View solution in original post

vselles16
Community Member

Thank you so much, your understanding is correct. I'll contact the Help to see where the submissions went.

As for your second interpretation, every weekly assignment actually has a specific topic, depending on what is assigned (and every semester, the orders change depending on the semester's calendar). However, the HW these past two weeks in particular (and so far, only this semester) had so many topics that I chose to name them Week 10 and Week 11. The issue arose when I realized that if I used Week 11, Students could be confused into thinking it was the last week of class (12 weeks in our semester).

To avoid that, I renamed the prior week to week 9, and lost all submissions.

Thanks for your help, I'll try the technical support.