cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Changing an individual's grade after a group grade has been assigned.

Jump to solution

Greetings,

I recently did a group assignment and am in the grading process. Some individuals within the group earned less points that what I assigned to the whole group. I can't seem to figure out how to change those individuals' grades. It keeps bouncing back to the group grade. Is this function possible?

Thanks,

Lesley

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi lemonsle@jmu.edu‌ - Everything you describe is based on whether or not you enabled the checkbox shown on the screen capture under the heading Assign Grades Individually from this online lesson:  How do I assign an assignment to a course group?  Basically, if you did not enable that checkbox labelled Assign grades to each student individually, then everyone in each group gets the same grade.  The first grade you put in for any member of a group will become the grade for everyone else in that same group.

However, what is extremely puzzling in your question is how some wound up with different point values,to begin with.  Is it possible that you started grading some individually and then disabled that checkbox, or vice versa?

Anyway, here's the answer: that checkbox can be toggled on or off.  If you edit the assignment, you can safely ignore the warning that Canvas may be showing you that says no modifications may be made.  (I can't remember the precise message, but you'll know it when you see it.)  That warning message refers to the group sets that were assigned, not to that checkbox.  You can enable the checkbox so that students are graded individually without any issues.

The end result of this is that when you go into SpeedGrader you will see the individual student names rather than the group names, or (if you are grading in the gradebook) you will be able to assign grades to each student individually.

I hope this helps, Lesley!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi lemonsle@jmu.edu‌ - Everything you describe is based on whether or not you enabled the checkbox shown on the screen capture under the heading Assign Grades Individually from this online lesson:  How do I assign an assignment to a course group?  Basically, if you did not enable that checkbox labelled Assign grades to each student individually, then everyone in each group gets the same grade.  The first grade you put in for any member of a group will become the grade for everyone else in that same group.

However, what is extremely puzzling in your question is how some wound up with different point values,to begin with.  Is it possible that you started grading some individually and then disabled that checkbox, or vice versa?

Anyway, here's the answer: that checkbox can be toggled on or off.  If you edit the assignment, you can safely ignore the warning that Canvas may be showing you that says no modifications may be made.  (I can't remember the precise message, but you'll know it when you see it.)  That warning message refers to the group sets that were assigned, not to that checkbox.  You can enable the checkbox so that students are graded individually without any issues.

The end result of this is that when you go into SpeedGrader you will see the individual student names rather than the group names, or (if you are grading in the gradebook) you will be able to assign grades to each student individually.

I hope this helps, Lesley!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

So there's no way to keep it so that I enter a 5 and everyone in the group gets that, then I can go into the gradebook and change just one of those fives to say a 3? Just seems like a lot of extra work if you have to enter each individual grade separately when the point was to do less total grading by having them in groups. 

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

That's only if you need to correct ONE individual's grade.  If everyone else in every other group otherwise should be getting the same grade, then you should disable the checkbox.  The real issue is how people were given individual grades, to begin with, and that I really can't help you with since that is not the intended behavior in Canvas.  If the intention from the beginning was to give everyone in each group the same grade, that should never have happened if that checkbox was never enabled.  That should probably be reported to Canvas as a bug if that's what happened.  The ability to give everyone in a group the same grade is a great feature in Canvas, and I've never seen it not work if that checkbox is left disabled.  (Which the default setting.)

Highlighted

Hi Ken, I have been using Canvas groups in large classes and have several requests. 

Like Lesley, I also need the ability to reduce some group member's scores, but I don't want to grade each student separately in order to be able to do this. I have 250 students enrolled in my section and obviously grading roughly 65 submissions is way better than grading 250.

In addition, I would like the ability for students to rate each other on their teamwork. I want my students to be able to rate their teammates' effort (not students from other groups - only students within their own group). Ideally, this functionality would allow me to create a rubric (separate from the assignment grading rubric) to allow teammates to rate each other's contribution/effort. Based upon these ratings, I need to be able to reduce certain individuals' scores.

Finally, could we allow self sign-up for groups, but lock the availability to change groups after a certain date? I had a case this semester where a student was removed from a group (this was the only way I had to change her grade for lack of effort) and she moved herself to another group who had already completed and submitted the assignment and Canvas assigned her that group's grade (without my knowledge).

Is any of this functionality available? If not, could we put in a feature request? I think Canvas is awesome but the group functionality could stand to be improved.

Thanks so much,

Leslie

0 Kudos
Highlighted

OK, I see you don't work for Canvas - I submitted the ideas as a feature request. Have a good one!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

This question has been discussed for at least 5 years now. Canvas SELLS its platform, desinged for K-12. University professors (or primary and secondary teachers) should not be 'building' this LMS for them at great cost in time (and money) when there are so many better LMS platforms from which to choose! Canvas is my 9th LMS tool over the last 20+ years, and it is hands down the worst.

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels