cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eli_kim
Community Member

Changing nicknames and color icons on old courses

Hi Canvas experts,

I had a question about if the ability to change previous course nicknames and colored icons (related to the dashboard course color overlays) had changed?  Previously people have told me that they could change the color and nickname of previous courses. However, I'm not able to see any way to change the color of the course icon nor nickname for non-active(old) courses.  Any ideas?

I've attached a screenshot of the little icons and the courses that need nickname changes.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @eli_kim ‌

It will depend on how your school concluded past courses.  If the course has been concluded (instead of closed by term-dates having passed), then you can no longer star the course in your courses list and having it display as a course-card on the dashboard. Currently, the only place you can create a nickname is on the course cards.

Kelley

James
Navigator

@eli_kim  ,

Maybe those people were doing this through the Canvas Student App. You can favorite previous courses and then edit the dashboard card there. Changes made there don't necessarily reflect back to the browser, though, since the browser interface doesn't display previous courses.

Disclaimer, I'm using the student app as a teacher and administrator, so you may not see the same thing. 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@eli_kim ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie