cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waechted
Community Member

Chat room alert?

Jump to solution

What signal does the 'alert function' in the Chat room actually send? I have had the Chat open, and unless I am looking at the screen, I don't see/hear new messages. There is no flashing light, beep, or other obvious indicator that I can see. Do I need to go into some menu and set some function?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
waechted
Community Member

Thanks to all who have sent me the standard information about turning the alert on, about not getting it if I change pages, etc.

I had seen those before I asked the question. Please do not send me the same information.

What I REALLY want to know, is ‘What form is the alert?’ I turned the alert function on, and waited. When people signed in, there was NO sound, NO flashing light. I know this because I kept the window open and sat there watching it.

The sound was on – nothing. The window was open – I could see student comments, but no other change.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

View solution in original post

Hello there,  @waechted ...

I have been reviewing some of the older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over five months.  But, I think I have an answer for you after doing some testing in my own sandbox course.  Back in late September 2018,  @kona  provided you a link to this Guide: How do I use Chat as an instructor?.  In this Guide, I found the following (highlighting is my own):

To receive alerts for new chat messages, click the New message alerts button [2]. If this option is turned on, you will receive alerts if Chat is open in Canvas but your browser window is minimized or you are viewing another browser tab. Alerts will not send if you leave Chat to view another area in Canvas.

I tested this out in my own sandbox course using to different browsers.  In one browser, I logged in as an admin/instructor.  In the other browser, I logged in as a dummy student.  In the first browser (with my admin/instructor account), I turned on the "New message alerts" toggle at the top right corner of the Chat window.  I then switched to a different tab in that browser.  In my other browser (with my student account), I typed in a message in the chat window, and hit "Enter".  I heard a high-pitched bell/tone notifying the admin/instructor account that there was a new message in the chat.  Then, back as an instructor, I went back to the tab I had open with the Canvas chat interface, and I minimized my browser window.  Again, I sent a message as the dummy student in the other browser, and I heard the same sound.  As the Guide indicates, you have to remain in the Chat window (even if it is minimized or if you have another browser tab open) in order to hear the notification.

Hope this helps, Daryle.

4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@waechted , it should be a sound, but here is additional information about the alert - 

To receive alerts for new chat messages, click the New message alerts button [2]. If this option is turned on, you will receive alerts if Chat is open in Canvas but your browser window is minimized or you are viewing another browser tab. Alerts will not send if you leave Chat to view another area in Canvas.” - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13071-415255286 

Hope this helps!

Kona

waechted
Community Member

But WHAT IS the alert? A buzz? A beep? A flashing light?

I experience NONE of these!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

waechted
Community Member

Thanks to all who have sent me the standard information about turning the alert on, about not getting it if I change pages, etc.

I had seen those before I asked the question. Please do not send me the same information.

What I REALLY want to know, is ‘What form is the alert?’ I turned the alert function on, and waited. When people signed in, there was NO sound, NO flashing light. I know this because I kept the window open and sat there watching it.

The sound was on – nothing. The window was open – I could see student comments, but no other change.

Hello there,  @waechted ...

I have been reviewing some of the older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I noticed that there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over five months.  But, I think I have an answer for you after doing some testing in my own sandbox course.  Back in late September 2018,  @kona  provided you a link to this Guide: How do I use Chat as an instructor?.  In this Guide, I found the following (highlighting is my own):

To receive alerts for new chat messages, click the New message alerts button [2]. If this option is turned on, you will receive alerts if Chat is open in Canvas but your browser window is minimized or you are viewing another browser tab. Alerts will not send if you leave Chat to view another area in Canvas.

I tested this out in my own sandbox course using to different browsers.  In one browser, I logged in as an admin/instructor.  In the other browser, I logged in as a dummy student.  In the first browser (with my admin/instructor account), I turned on the "New message alerts" toggle at the top right corner of the Chat window.  I then switched to a different tab in that browser.  In my other browser (with my student account), I typed in a message in the chat window, and hit "Enter".  I heard a high-pitched bell/tone notifying the admin/instructor account that there was a new message in the chat.  Then, back as an instructor, I went back to the tab I had open with the Canvas chat interface, and I minimized my browser window.  Again, I sent a message as the dummy student in the other browser, and I heard the same sound.  As the Guide indicates, you have to remain in the Chat window (even if it is minimized or if you have another browser tab open) in order to hear the notification.

Hope this helps, Daryle.