cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jolliej
Community Member

Chat room notification

Jump to solution

As an instructor, if I am in the chat room, is there anything that notifies students or would they need to click on the chat tab to see me?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hello  @jolliej ​ -

Unfortunately, no notifications are generated.  By the way, you can a detailed look at what each Notification does by checking this page: How do I set my Canvas notification preferences? and then click on the Canvas Notifications PDF that is linked in the first paragraph.  It covers almost everything about the various notification settings.

But more directly related to your question, there was a fairly recent Feature Idea that was posted that covers your request, though unfortunately it only received 18 votes:  .  Perhaps you can try another Feature Idea following Scott Dennis' link at the end of the archived one.

I guess my main recommendation would be to post an Announcement or communicate to your class through some other means when you will be in the Chat room.

Hope this helps a bit.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kblack
Community Member

Hello  @jolliej ​ -

Unfortunately, no notifications are generated.  By the way, you can a detailed look at what each Notification does by checking this page: How do I set my Canvas notification preferences? and then click on the Canvas Notifications PDF that is linked in the first paragraph.  It covers almost everything about the various notification settings.

But more directly related to your question, there was a fairly recent Feature Idea that was posted that covers your request, though unfortunately it only received 18 votes:  .  Perhaps you can try another Feature Idea following Scott Dennis' link at the end of the archived one.

I guess my main recommendation would be to post an Announcement or communicate to your class through some other means when you will be in the Chat room.

Hope this helps a bit.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Not directly related, but as a heads up about chat -  Chat messages are public, not private (so anyone can see what was said in the chat room) and can't be deleted.

I have a faculty member who cannot access their chat transcripts. She needs the chat info for this Wed. because she cannot attend. Apparently she has access to the chat session, but only after 42 minutes into the chat session only. She can't find a way to go back further. It simply won't. She needs the whole session chat. Any ideas?