Cheating: student IDs and work submission

Jump to solution
Community Novice

If a student shares a file (with anyone) does their student ID show up anywhere on that file? I had a student submit work that was a picture of a computer with another students ID number in the top right of the computer screen. I gave them both zeros. Now the student whose work was submitted is saying he sent the file and had no idea that the other person would just submit his work and not put it in their own words. I was thinking that he had to give that person his login information for his student idea to show, I wouldn't think it would show if a file was just sent to another person. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@9938538 ‌, a student is not able to see another student's assignment submission in Canvas, and since the student submitted a photo of another student's screen, it is not out of the realm of possibility that both students were in the same room at the same time—and maybe the student snapped the photo without the other student's knowledge? That would give Student 2 the benefit of the doubt.

And you're right, it could be that Student 2 shared their login credentials with Student 1, but putting myself in the shoes of Student 1, if I had that level of access to the actual assignment submission, I'd be more likely to copy and paste the content than snap a photo to use as my submission. (Sorry, I'm having a bit of trouble thinking this way.)

A Canvas admin can look at the page views for each student to find out the originating IP addresses for their interactions.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes