cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carolpeabody
Community Member

Chemical equations?

Jump to solution

What is the easiest method for writing chemical equations in Canvas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@carolpeabody , probably by using the Math editor in the Rich Text Editor - How do I use the Math Editor in the Rich Content Editor?

I'd also recommend checking out the Teaching Math in Canvas​ group in the Community. Even though it says Math, it's for anyone who uses Math in their courses.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@carolpeabody , probably by using the Math editor in the Rich Text Editor - How do I use the Math Editor in the Rich Content Editor?

I'd also recommend checking out the Teaching Math in Canvas​ group in the Community. Even though it says Math, it's for anyone who uses Math in their courses.

View solution in original post

@kona ​,

Do you think we should rename that group, maybe to "Teaching Math and Science"?

carolpeabody
Community Member

Thank you, Kona.

When I click on the link provided in the Math Editor directions you shared

(Chemistry formulas, equations, and scientific notation)

I find that the steps seem fairly onerous for writing an equation representing a chemical reaction.  I could probably handle it myself (or find a cut-and-paste or screenshot workaround), but it's not going to work very effectively if I want students to write a chemical equation.  Does anyone else have a suggestion?

@carolpeabody ​, I didn't realize you were asking about the best way for students to enter in chemical equations. If it's for a quiz, then it's pretty much the math editor, having students upload a file as their submission (so do the equations in word and upload it to the quiz), or maybe something like this - Ability to write out math equations on a tablet and submit through Canvas?

When I taught Stats online I had students do their work on paper and take a picture (using a free PDF converter) and then upload a PDF of their work to Canvas.

debra_mansperge
Learner II

Carol, You might want to try a multiple dropdown question.  Something like this:

Write the balanced chemical reaction for the reaction of silver nitrate and sodium chloride.

[coef1] [react1] + [coef2] [react2] ----->  [coef3] [prod1] + [coef4] [prod2]

Each item in brackets opens up a separate dropdown menu. The options for 'coef' would be integers and the reactants and products could be various formulas.