cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brittany_moose
Community Member

Chromebooks and Canvas

I want to use my class set of Chromebooks for students to take notes in Canvas. What is the best way to do this? I would like to set up some sort of a template for students to follow. 

8 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @brittany_moose ‌ - Does your institution have Google Apps for Education? If so, creating a "template" for a notes assignment would be a great option. Let us know if you have Google Apps available to you or not, and then we can look at your options!

I'm so glad someone chimed in here who is at a school with integrated Google Apps,  @klundstrum ‌!

It's also possible to use Google products (like embedded Google Docs) in Canavs without that integration (my school does not have Google Apps), but of course being able to use the Google-Canvas integration offers lots more great options.

I think so. How would I know for sure?

Mrs. Brittany Moose

Culinary Arts

Bunker Hill High School

Catawba County Schools

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Kristin Lundstrum <instructure@jiveon.com>

Since you have Chromebooks, I assume it's very likely. However, some schools "garden wall" Google Accounts to specific features. A quick email to your in-building tech coordinator or support would be able to verify which aspects of the Google Apps for Education suite you and your students have access to!

Ok, we do have apps

Mrs. Brittany Moose

Culinary Arts

Bunker Hill High School

Catawba County Schools

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 10:19 AM, kristin.lundstrum@delasalle.com <

laurakgibbs
Surveyor

Hi  @brittanymooney1 ‌ I have been using Chromebooks (just for myself; my school is BYOD) for years now, and the reason that has been a fabulous option is that I use Google Drive for all my document management.

So, one possibility that comes to mind would be to have students using Google Docs for keeping their notes, and you could create a public Google Doc page that they could copy each time they are taking notes.

That would be a great way to teach them about Google Docs (keeping them in folders, using a consistent system for the titles of the documents, etc.), while also showing them how it is possible to share Google Docs with others.

You might even try some experiments with collaborative note-taking, where different students take on different "scribal" roles, taking notes on different aspects of what they are reading or a video they are watching, etc.

I'm sure that other people will have different ideas, but when you mentioned using a template, GoogleDocs is what first came to mind.

There is more information about the Google Canvas LTI here at the Community; here's a search:

https://community.canvaslms.com/search.jspa?q=google%20lti 

Yes! I want to create a doc template, they make a copy and fill in their

notes, then upload and submit for a participation grade. I just need

guidance on how to accomplish this!

Mrs. Brittany Moose

Culinary Arts

Bunker Hill High School

Catawba County Schools

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 10:02 AM, laurakgibbs <instructure@jiveon.com>

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@brittany_moose ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie