cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Clarifications needed regarding annotating student work.

Not sure how DocViewer annotation works... 

For instance: What exactly does this mean?  (From the DocViewer Help pages) ... 

"When you open a submission, DocViewer will automatically save any annotations made to the submission file for 10 hours. Canvas will display a session expiration warning at 9 hours 50 minutes, followed by a 5-minute and 1-minute warning until the 10 hour limit has been reached. You can restart a DocViewer session at any time by refreshing the submission page.

I am annotating student work submitted as file attachments. I'm assuming my students will be able to see these when they finally get around to reviewing my comments, maybe today, maybe 3 days from now? What is this 10 hour window all about?  This seems to imply that if I annotate assignments in the evening, when I wake up the next morning, students won't see a thing. My worry stems from the fact that I annotated many assignments, showed up to my class section several days later, and not only could some students not see annotations, but when they went to their assignments, some had no option to even view them in DocViewer. There was no "review" button or whatever it's called. All students could do was "download" their own assignment, and none of my area annotations, with associated text in the margins, would show up. Am I wasting my time by trying to give student feedback? 

6 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi ryhill@ucdavis.edu...

When you view a student's submission via the course SpeedGrader, think of this as a "session".  The session lasts for a total of 10 hours...auto-saving any annotations you make to a student's submission via the SpeedGrader.  Warnings will show up near the 10 hour mark to let you know that the "session" is going to expire.  This doesn't mean that any of the annotations/feedback you gave on a student's document up until that time will be lost, however.  It just means that after the 10 hour mark, you'd need to refresh your SpeedGrader screen again to start another 10-hour session.  Any annotations you've made on a student's submission should still be there when you refresh the SpeedGrader screen.  I've never tried this myself, but my guess is that if you had a student's submission open in SpeedGrader for more than the alloted 10 hours and then tried to make an annotation on it, the annotation may not save because you've exceeded the 10 hour limit.

I could certainly see how the wording could be interpreted the way you described.  In that case, if you feel that the wording is unclear, it is best to post that kind of feedback directly at the bottom of the Guide in question, and then someone from the Documents team will respond to you.  They will review your comments and the wording in the Guide(s) to see if anything could be made more clear.

I hope this helps, Ryan.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you Chris. I appreciate your input, and duly note your point about

directing any confusions about the wording of the help-docs right to the

source. I did note that I could still see my annotations the next day, but

I have a number of students complaining that they seem to not have access

to them. I will dig deeper to find out if there is a common thread to these

difficulties, possibly a browser problem...

Ryan Hill

Landscape Analysis & Systems Research Lab

Ecology Graduate Group

U.C. Davis

ryhill@ucdavis.edu

Highlighted

Hi ryhill@ucdavis.edu...

You can certainly give them these two Guide links if they have troubles viewing your feedback that you've given them through the SpeedGrader:

How do I view assignment comments from my instructor? 

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10542-4212352349 

Also, make sure that they are using either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome as their web browser instead of Internet Explorer or Edge.  Firefox and Chrome tend to give users a better browsing experience when using Canvas.  This is especially true for assignment submissions.

I hope this extra info is helpful to you, Ryan.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you Chris. This is a super helpful start. I suspect the disappearing

"View Feedback" link is what is happening in many cases, as I looked over a

student's shoulder and could not find anywhere to even enter the DocViewer.

Good to know there is a potential solution, or at least a work-around. A

true solution would keep that link on the page at all times.

Cheers,

Ryan Hill

Landscape Analysis & Systems Research Lab

Ecology Graduate Group

U.C. Davis

ryhill@ucdavis.edu

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 7:23 PM, chofer@morainepark.edu <

Highlighted

Hi ryhill@ucdavis.edu...

I'm honestly not sure why the "View Feedback" link for students would not show up at times for students but not show up other times.  There is this note on the second Guide link I gave you:

Note: If the assignment attachment displays a Preview button, your file is not DocViewer compatible.

...though I'm assuming that your students are just submitting a Word document, a PDF file, or an image that can be viewed in DocViewer?  If that's the case, a call to the Help Desk folks at Instructure might be warranted.  You and your students can do this by clicking on the "Help" icon on the left side of your Canvas environment, and there will be some help/tech support options there to choose from.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

ryhill@ucdavis.edu,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie