Highlighted
Community Member

Clean Embedding of Google Sheets

Jump to solution

I am looking to embed a limited access Google Sheet (I don't want to publish to the web, as I don't want it public) on a canvas page, and would like the tradition Google header information (menu, graphics, etc) removed so that only the information on the Google sheet is pictured in the embedded view.  Is there a simple way to do this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi david.lutz@wayzata.k12.mn.us Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  Bear with me on this one.  When I tried this out, I went to a Google Sheet and chose File>>Publish to the web.  On the ensuing dialog box, I selected EMBED and selected only the sheet that I wanted to display:

245472_sheets dialog box.jpg

I copied and pasted the iframe tag into Canvas' rich content editor using HTML mode,  and the resulting page displayed in Canvas pretty much the way I imagine you would want it to, with none of the Google header information:

245473_sample embedded sheet.jpg

I adjusted the width and height attributes after embedding it, which you may already know how to do, though if not the great stefaniesanders‌ has a great posting showing how (using Google Docs for her example, but it holds true for the Sheets, as well): Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content .  And thankfully, by default Google makes the headers attribute "false," which appears to eliminate the menu options you were concerned about.

I imagine that you are concerned about Google's wording of "Publish to the web." I'm no computer security expert and certainly not a Google expert, either, but I think it is simply a poor choice of words on Google's part.  If you look at the sharing attributes in your original Sheet after doing this, they have NOT changed.  All Google does is simply give you the embed tags necessary.  It is similar to the way YouTube gives you an embed tag for a video that can otherwise remain private.  There is a little bit of additional information here:  Publish and embed Google Docs, Sheets, Slides & Forms - Computer - Docs editors Help , though unfortunately little clarification regarding their choice of words on that menu.  A conversation along these lines (with much technical lingo) was carried out 'way back 2013 in Google product forums here:  Google Groups  .

Does that help at all?  Again, I'm not a security expert, but it would appear to me that your sheet would be safe from prying eyes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi david.lutz@wayzata.k12.mn.us Welcome to the worldwide Canvas Community!  Bear with me on this one.  When I tried this out, I went to a Google Sheet and chose File>>Publish to the web.  On the ensuing dialog box, I selected EMBED and selected only the sheet that I wanted to display:

245472_sheets dialog box.jpg

I copied and pasted the iframe tag into Canvas' rich content editor using HTML mode,  and the resulting page displayed in Canvas pretty much the way I imagine you would want it to, with none of the Google header information:

245473_sample embedded sheet.jpg

I adjusted the width and height attributes after embedding it, which you may already know how to do, though if not the great stefaniesanders‌ has a great posting showing how (using Google Docs for her example, but it holds true for the Sheets, as well): Using Google Docs for dynamic Canvas content .  And thankfully, by default Google makes the headers attribute "false," which appears to eliminate the menu options you were concerned about.

I imagine that you are concerned about Google's wording of "Publish to the web." I'm no computer security expert and certainly not a Google expert, either, but I think it is simply a poor choice of words on Google's part.  If you look at the sharing attributes in your original Sheet after doing this, they have NOT changed.  All Google does is simply give you the embed tags necessary.  It is similar to the way YouTube gives you an embed tag for a video that can otherwise remain private.  There is a little bit of additional information here:  Publish and embed Google Docs, Sheets, Slides & Forms - Computer - Docs editors Help , though unfortunately little clarification regarding their choice of words on that menu.  A conversation along these lines (with much technical lingo) was carried out 'way back 2013 in Google product forums here:  Google Groups  .

Does that help at all?  Again, I'm not a security expert, but it would appear to me that your sheet would be safe from prying eyes.

View solution in original post