cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Clear Quiz Attempt

Jump to solution

Is there a way to delete a student's attempt on a quiz? I know you can allow multiple attempts, but I would like to clear the attempt completely from grades. Is that possible?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi jcox@yorktown.k12.in.us - Basically, the answer is no...at least for now.  About all you can do is, as you said, allow multiple attempts or (in the case of a quiz that allows only one attempt) to give an individual student another attempt, as covered here: Once I publish a quiz, how can I give my students extra attempts? 

There is, however, a Feature Idea that is still open for voting that is currently on the Product Radar.  It does not hurt to register your vote here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1479-delete-quiz-attempts , since there is still no firm date/timeframe indicated for this, though as you may be aware, the Canvas engineers are quite busy with Priority: Quizzes.Next‌ .

I hope this helps, Jo!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi jcox@yorktown.k12.in.us - Basically, the answer is no...at least for now.  About all you can do is, as you said, allow multiple attempts or (in the case of a quiz that allows only one attempt) to give an individual student another attempt, as covered here: Once I publish a quiz, how can I give my students extra attempts? 

There is, however, a Feature Idea that is still open for voting that is currently on the Product Radar.  It does not hurt to register your vote here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1479-delete-quiz-attempts , since there is still no firm date/timeframe indicated for this, though as you may be aware, the Canvas engineers are quite busy with Priority: Quizzes.Next‌ .

I hope this helps, Jo!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

This is a terrible design feature that was not an issue with Blackboard. There are often cases where an instructor needs to clear an attempt to allow a retake. Power outages, system failures, etc. come to mind. 

Highlighted

Thomas,

Your comments are especially on point right now with so many students having to learn how to submit assignments and quizzes in Canvas virtually as opposed to being in a face-to-face environment where instructors can walk them through things and be there in person to assist with the technology.  For many years, I have had the ability to delete a student's assignment attempt in a particular online homework management system, so it really feels like Canvas is back in the stone age.  Accidents happen:  students hit the submit button instead of cancel, students forget to attach or attach the wrong documents, students have intermittent internet access issues that happen at the worst possible times.  Sometimes, we just need to be able to reset--not pile on extra attempts.

Gwinn

Highlighted

Gwinn,

Thank you for the reply. I knew I could not be the only one having this issue.

Regards,

Tom

Highlighted

Especially when assignments are set up to average all attempts and are pulling questions from pools. Adding an extra attempt doesn't fix the fact that the student has a zero because they accidentally clicked submit before answering any of the questions.

Highlighted

Hmmm... if I reopen the attempt it functionally removes the attempt from the student's grade calculation, though there are other issues. If the student had taken half the test they could have an advantage after having seen what they got wrong or possibly the correct answer depending on the settings. And they have the option to resubmit after having seen their score. 

Highlighted
Surveyor

This should not be marked solved! There is nothing solved here. I am having to manually make grade adjustments rather than letting the system run because of unintentional submissions/issues. Power outages, internet glitches, accidental submissions, errors in pages loading, all reasons why we should be able to exclude an attempt from counting in the grade book. You don't want to make it so we can delete an attempt, I get that, but at least make an option to exclude the attempt from counting towards the student's grade. 

Highlighted
Surveyor

why on earth would they not want to "allow" a teacher to delete an attempt? It is my class and I am fully capable of making the decision to delete an attempt.

Highlighted

I think that the option to fully delete any student work from the Canvas environment is not available for reasons of security, liability, and academic integrity:  while most faculty would use extreme caution and exercise great care to ensure that this corrective measure is enacted properly, equitably, and only under certain conditions, it still leaves open the possibility that something could go wrong that could be tantamount to, lead to, or construed as academic misconduct.  For example, suppose an instructor accidentally deletes a submission for the wrong student--now that student is still responsible for resubmitting (and, of course, the resubmission might be altered, intentionally or not).  If I was the student whose results were deleted accidentally and my initial score was replaced, the new score might have an undeserved substantial impact on my overall course grade.  If my grade goes down with the re-take, I'm not going to be happy about that, and I'll feel that the resolution was unfair to me.  If my grade improves dramatically, I reap the benefit of the second chance that my classmates did not get, which is not fair to the rest of the class.  Now, suppose that an instructor's account is hacked and some or all student assessment attempts are permanently deleted--do all the students have to re-test or just the ones whose results were "conveniently" deleted?  If there's no time for a major whole-class do-over, does everyone now get a 0 or full credit for the deleted assessment scores?  If it's a minor quiz in a grade category with many other quizzes, then the loss of one quiz might not make much difference, but if it's the midterm exam that counts for 30% of the overall course grade, then whatever becomes of it will be a really big deal that has profound implications moving forward.  With great power comes even greater responsibility, so the ability to delete student attempts/submissions is a huge request, even if we would agree to be forthright and conscientious about safeguarding its use.

Perhaps the idea of a "don't count this attempt" option is a good compromise because that's what instructors really want (my guess is that we just don't want the impact on the grade and that we really don't care if it's still present, especially if an option to hide null attempts is available)--and it maintains the paper trail for all attempts/submissions for security and academic integrity purposes.  This also relieves Canvas of the liability for assessments that go missing--whether the deletion is accidental or intentional.

Gwinn