cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laurahp
Community Member

Clicking assignment names lead to submission page even when it's not an online submission?

Hi there, I hope this is the right place to ask this! I'm a course administrator running a very large course (~1800 students) at a university that's just adopted Canvas for the first time.

For this course, we have several small in-lab assignments that are completed on paper in the students' labs. I had to create these assignments on Canvas in order to have them show up as columns in Gradebook, but there is no online submission component to them. Ideally, I wish I could hide them everywhere except in Grades, but I realize this is not an option. 

I knew students would get confused seeing these assignments on their To-Do lists and Calendars, so I made the assignment descriptions very clear ("This is an in-lab assignment, you do NOT need to submit online", etc.). However, the problem is that when students see the assignment under "Grades" and click the name to find out more, they're taken to an empty submission page rather than the page with the assignment description. This seems really weird, since I've set the assignment to paper submission and there's no need for a submission page. It's also not helpful, because the submission page has no information about the assignment, but looks like an online submission is required, so then students email me in a panic!

I'm hoping I've missed something - is there any way to set up an assignment so that clicking on the name leads to the page with the assignment details, rather than an empty submission page? 

Thanks very much! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi laurahp and  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

The submission type that I use is "No Submission" Then when students navigate to the assignment, all they see are the instructions.

This guide How do I add or edit details in an assignment? explains that

"No Submission is when you do not want students to submit an assignment in Canvas. This assignment type can be used to create extra columns in the Gradebook, or when you want to create an assignment that involves multiple scores. "

I hope this helps,

Kelley

laurahp
Community Member

Hi Kelley, 

Thanks for the welcome and the reply! Unfortunately, I have other assignments set to "No Submission", but when the names are clicked under Grades, they lead to the same blank submission page as the other assignments. This makes even less sense to me! Do you do anything else to the settings for your assignments that might affect it, besides setting is "No Submission"? Thanks!

Hi  laurahp

I tested this in my sandbox as a Test Student with an assignment set to "No Submission", and

• I navigated to the test student's grade page, then
  • Clicked on the Assignment, and
  • This is what I see...............

292583_pastedImage_2.png

The image above is not a submission box, it is where students can view details of their grade and any grading comments you might have left for them. It is also a place where the students can leave comments for you.

If a student wants to see the details of the assignment, they click on the name of the assignment in either the Assignments Index page (poor choice in course organization), or click on the assignment title in a module (best choice for course organization. See image below....

292584_pastedImage_3.png

Are you seeing something different?  Are you looking for something different? 

Kelley

laurahp
Community Member

Hi Kelley, 

Yes, this is what I see (it matches the screenshot I uploaded in my original post). I suppose my terminology was wrong, I was calling it a submission page because it seems to all be about submissions ("Submission details", "No submission", etc.). My students are certainly perceiving it as a submission page!

These in-lab assignments are not deployed anywhere in my course, but students are accessing them through Grades. Ideally, when they click on the assignment name it would take them to the assignment details, which contains my description explaining that there is no online component to this assignment. I understand why Canvas would direct them to the submissions/grades/comments page for online submitted assignments, but I don't understand why this applies to assignments that are marked "No Submission". Unless I'm mistaken, they can see comments and grades directly on the Grades page, so why would this submissions/grades/comments page even need to exist for "No Submission" assignments? (Admittedly I am no programmer so I don't know the nuts and bolts behind any of this) 

I guess my ultimate question is, is there any way that you know of to make the assignment name under Grades link to the details page rather than the grades/submissions/comments page? 

Thanks again for your quick response & help! 

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

laurahp,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie