cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Collaborate with colleagues to create a course

Jump to solution

I am creating my first course. I have a colleague who also teaches the same class. We would like to be able to work together to make the course, so as to divide the work. We have separate students, so would not want to share the course, but instead make a copy of the completed course to use individually. Is this possible? 

Thanks for the help!

Sarah

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi sarah pincus, and Welcome to the Canvas Community!

This is absolutely possible, and even a best practice. So, I'm assuming that you are faculty and don't have Admin access. If, when your Canvas account was created, you were issued a 'practice classroom' you could work in that, with a request to your Canvas Admin to add your colleague as 'teacher' to your practice classroom. An even better solution would be to put in a request to your Canvas Admin for a 'Master course' for your specific course, asking that your colleague be added as 'teacher' as well.

This should be a simple email or Google Doc request, to your Canvas Admin, or whatever is in place for the purpose of faculty requests. Once your 'Master' is created, you and your colleague will both have full access to build collaboratively, and then import that build into your individual courses, or separate Masters to use or modify as desired. I've added some helpful tutorial links below for 'Importing Courses' and 'Exporting Courses'...

I hope this gives you the solution that you are looking for. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Member

Hi sarah pincus, and Welcome to the Canvas Community!

This is absolutely possible, and even a best practice. So, I'm assuming that you are faculty and don't have Admin access. If, when your Canvas account was created, you were issued a 'practice classroom' you could work in that, with a request to your Canvas Admin to add your colleague as 'teacher' to your practice classroom. An even better solution would be to put in a request to your Canvas Admin for a 'Master course' for your specific course, asking that your colleague be added as 'teacher' as well.

This should be a simple email or Google Doc request, to your Canvas Admin, or whatever is in place for the purpose of faculty requests. Once your 'Master' is created, you and your colleague will both have full access to build collaboratively, and then import that build into your individual courses, or separate Masters to use or modify as desired. I've added some helpful tutorial links below for 'Importing Courses' and 'Exporting Courses'...

I hope this gives you the solution that you are looking for. 

View solution in original post