cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shelli_drossel
Community Member

Color codes for grade schemes?

Jump to solution

I created a grade scheme and I was wondering if there was a way to color code each grade?  This is very helpful to get a quick visual of how students did on an assignment when viewing the gradebook and "red flags" poorer scores. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Navigator

@shelli_drossel ,

This is not possible within the current system.

You can assign a grading scale to the assignments and make the letter grade show up in the gradebook. It would also do that for the students, too, and you might not want them to know they've been red-flagged.

You can sort by any column in the gradebook and that will group the different grades together (you will lose the alphabetical sort of the students if you do this -- so you cannot sort by the letter grade and then alphabetically within the A's, it will sort based off the number value of the grade).

You can also export your gradebook to Excel and then use it to color the values based on certain conditions. This is not as easy as sorting by assignment score in the gradebook.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
James
Navigator

@shelli_drossel ,

This is not possible within the current system.

You can assign a grading scale to the assignments and make the letter grade show up in the gradebook. It would also do that for the students, too, and you might not want them to know they've been red-flagged.

You can sort by any column in the gradebook and that will group the different grades together (you will lose the alphabetical sort of the students if you do this -- so you cannot sort by the letter grade and then alphabetically within the A's, it will sort based off the number value of the grade).

You can also export your gradebook to Excel and then use it to color the values based on certain conditions. This is not as easy as sorting by assignment score in the gradebook.

View solution in original post

les_james
Community Member

Hi  @shelli_drossel ‌! I was just working with a faculty member who had the same question and came across your post. I also found this post on how to Grade with Emoji. I tried it out, and I was able to use a rainbow selection of book emoji to do a version of color coding. Not the best workaround, but thought this idea or some version of it might be helpful. 

242330_pastedImage_2.png