cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kburkes
Learner II

Color overlays affect calendar?

Jump to solution

We are new, in the process of setting up our Canvas system.

I heard at InstructureCon that the color overlay on the Dashboard course cards affects the color coding of the calendar entries, so that users should not use the same color for different courses. Could someone confirm if this is true? 

And if it is true, and the user removes the overlay entirely, what does this do to the calendar?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
James
Navigator

kburkes,

I think most of your questions are answered in the Canvas Guide: How do I view course cards in the Dashboard as an instructor? 

Here's the short version, but I recommend reading the guide for the full scoop.

The course color on the dashboard is synced with the course color on the calendar. Changing the color in the calendar will also change the dashboard color.

Not using the same color for multiple courses is a personal preference, but most people are not going to want to do that because then it will be difficult to tell the courses apart on the calendar without mousing over them. As an accessibility issue, nothing should be distinguished using only color, so there are other ways to tell things apart besides the color, so some people may choose to use the color for organizational purposes or leave them at the default color, which can lead to duplication. But for the vast majority, using the same color for multiple courses would lessen the Canvas experience.

Removing the color overlay does not change the course color, and it doesn't do anything to the calendar. What it does is remove the color overlay from the top of images on the dashboard course cards. However, the course color remains the same and will appear as a circle surrounding the more options icon rather than an overlay over the image.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
James
Navigator

kburkes,

I think most of your questions are answered in the Canvas Guide: How do I view course cards in the Dashboard as an instructor? 

Here's the short version, but I recommend reading the guide for the full scoop.

The course color on the dashboard is synced with the course color on the calendar. Changing the color in the calendar will also change the dashboard color.

Not using the same color for multiple courses is a personal preference, but most people are not going to want to do that because then it will be difficult to tell the courses apart on the calendar without mousing over them. As an accessibility issue, nothing should be distinguished using only color, so there are other ways to tell things apart besides the color, so some people may choose to use the color for organizational purposes or leave them at the default color, which can lead to duplication. But for the vast majority, using the same color for multiple courses would lessen the Canvas experience.

Removing the color overlay does not change the course color, and it doesn't do anything to the calendar. What it does is remove the color overlay from the top of images on the dashboard course cards. However, the course color remains the same and will appear as a circle surrounding the more options icon rather than an overlay over the image.

View solution in original post