cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sembry
Surveyor II

Comments/Questions in Arc Videos

Jump to solution

How do I keep the questions I inserted in a video that was created in Arc when I move it into a Canvas assignment or announcement. Right now it losing all the comments and questions that I asked when I fist made the video.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Correct.

ARC videos created at the ARC level that have comments will embed into a course item without the comments. 

ARC videos created at course A can be used throughout course A and will carry along any comments it has garnered during that specific course. 

ARC videos created at course A can be used throughout course B but will have it's own unique comment stream. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @sembry ...

I'm also going to bring in  @kona ‌ to this discussion.  After you upload a video to the Arc interface, are you then typing in some comments below the video prior to embedding said video in your course?  If this is the case, I wonder if the issue is because if you take a look at your video in Arc, below the place to type comments, you may have a dropdown menu for "My Uploads".  If you select that, you may see that there are other courses listed there (but maybe not if the video hasn't been embedded in a course yet).  So, when you then go to embed the video in an assignment or an announcement, you're not seeing those comments that you wanted to be displayed.  The comments that were in the "My Uploads" dropdown really weren't assigned to any particular course.  So, I'm not completely sure on this, but if you embed the video first in your course and then go back to your Arc page, then you'd be able to use the dropdown list to choose where you wanted those comments to appear, and then you could re-use that video in multiple places.

I'm also going to share your question with the Arc Users Group‌ here in the Canvas Community.  If you aren't yet following this group, use the link I've provided to click on the "Follow" button in the upper right corner of the screen.  Also, next to that button is an "Action" link where you can then choose "Join group".  I hope this helps!

I learned something new today...so thanks for your question!

Thank you for your reply. We thought the drop down " My Uploads" and other courses that showed up may have something to do with it but couldn't seem to get it to work, we probably need to play around with it again. Out of frustration we just went ahead and retyped the comments into the class we embedded the video, but there has to be a way to do this in Arc and transfer to any class. So if anyone has directions for this it would be great. I will join the Arc Users Group too. Thank you for your help!

brianyuhnke
Instructure
Instructure

Hi All,

Videos uploaded into ARC can be used throughout Canvas courses however each insertion of an ARC video in a course item will have a new "wrapper" around it which includes, comments and insights. While the video can remain the same, the comments will be unique each time it is added to a course item. I'm fairly sure comments cannot be transferred but I'll check with the product team to confirm one way or another. 

Update: If comments have been added to an ARC video at the course level, Adding that same video into another course item from the same course will retain the comments. So if I use the same video on three different pages in the same course they all have the same comments. 

Stephanie, are you adding the comments at the "Arc" level? outside of the course? That may be your issue. 

Yes. We added the comments at the Arc level. So, if I am understanding you correctly, if we want to add comments we need to do that within the course? We cannot add comments at the Arc level and then push to several courses?

Correct.

ARC videos created at the ARC level that have comments will embed into a course item without the comments. 

ARC videos created at course A can be used throughout course A and will carry along any comments it has garnered during that specific course. 

ARC videos created at course A can be used throughout course B but will have it's own unique comment stream. 

View solution in original post