cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
americandadinch
Community Member

Comments published in Email notifications to you?

Is there any way to have the actual "Comments" emailed to you in notifications? 

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

americandadinchina, by "Comments" do you mean the "Assignment Comments" students can add to their assignments (or reply to your comments on their assignments)? The ones on the right hand side of the page in Speedgrader? If so, then yes, you can.

Go to your Notifications (Account --> Notifications) and adjust the notification for "Submission Comment" (this is under the first heading - Course Activities).

I already do that, but the emails only come back like below requiring me to log in.  Actual example is below.

You're signed up to receive a daily report of some notifications from your Canvas account. Below is the report for Mar 9:Submission Comment: XXXX, LC: Just Curious, Language Arts 6.AY.XXXX.CMrs. XXXXX just made a new comment on the submission for XXX for LC: Just Curious.

By the looks of what you included I'm going to guess you have it set to daily digest - so once a day. Try switching it to "Notify me right away." That's what I have mine set to and it automatically sends me my students comments to my email and then I can also reply back directly from my email.

As I understand the question . . .from Matthew. The notifications are easy to set up - daily or immediately but what he is wanting is what I am looking for (possibly). That is can my actual comment be emailed to the student - rather than just the notification that I made a comment. I think the students will be more apt to read my (insightful : ) comments if it was not a two or three step process of going to the course website, then gradebook and then open the comment. -David

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

If it’s set for the student to get it immediately are you sure they don’t get the actual comment? I only ask because I use comments a lot with my students and they always seem to know about them and respond pretty quickly. Granted I’ve never asked them if they just get a notification that I made a comment or if they actually get my comment, but I always thought it was my actual comments they were seeing... now I’m off to message a student and ask what they see...

Thanks for the quick response! I have a dummy student account and checked

it out yesterday. It was just a notification like this (below). When they

click on that it takes them to the assignment with comments (so I guess

just one click to get to the comments). I must have messed up the first

time when I tried it as it took me to TURNITIN (I use that on all

assignments).

*You're signed up to receive a daily report of some notifications from your

Canvas account. Below is the report for Dec 3:*

*Submission Comment: bbe2201 BBE2201, Lesson 24 Reflection: Wind Policy and

Economics, BBE 2201, 001 Renewable Energy and the Environment (Fall 2017)*

*David Schmidt just made a new comment on the submission for bbe2201

BBE2201 for Lesson 24 Reflection: Wind Policy and Economics.*

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 6:35 AM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I checked with one of my students who was responding to my comments really quickly yesterday and he said if you use the Canvas student app on your phone then you get notifications pop up on your phone. It sounds like that makes it easy to click on them and see/respond to the comments. 

Yet, it does now bother me that students could easily be missing when I post the comments - so not seeing them until later in the week. Because of this I actually messaged all my students after I was done grading and told them to go check the comments on their assignment. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello americandadinchina‌...

I wanted to check in with you because there hasn't been any new activity in this particular discussion topic since the end of March 2017.  Have you had a chance to review the latest message from  @kona ‌ about switching your notifications to "Notify me right away"?  If so, did that help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some additional help with this?  If you feel that either of Kona's responses above have helped to answer your question, please mark one of them as "Correct".  But, if you are still looking for some help with this, please let us know that, too, but posting a comment below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies and/or questions related to your topic below.  I hope this is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Matthew!