cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kevinw
Community Member

Commons Course Share and Deleted Courses

In my organization we have a master course that we shared to commons and then copied courses from. This allows us to update our master course and auto update the other courses. 

The problem is that many of the courses have since been deleted. But these courses still pop up as options when the updated master course is imported to commons, and then when I update it just tells me "error' over and over again. It's pretty annoying. 

How to do I get rid of the courses that have been deleted from being options in the shared to commons course? 

Tags (2)
7 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @kevinw ‌...

Oh...that does sound annoying.  While I don't have an answer for you, I wanted to let you know that I am going to share your question with someone at Instructure who might be able to answer this question for you as it relates to Canvas Commons.  Hopefully, you will get a response soon.

kevinw
Community Member

That'd be great. Thank you.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @kevinw ‌...

I thought I'd check in with you again.  It seems as though you may have stumped members of the Canvas Community with your question.  Have you been able to find an answer on your own since you first posted this question on April 23rd?  If so, would you be willing to share your findings with us?  However, if you're still looking for some help with this question, please let us know that, too.  Hopefully by checking in with you, this question will get moved closer to the top and will get a bit more exposure.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Kevin!

kevinw
Community Member

Nope. Haven't found a solution. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kevinw ‌...

Checking in with you one more time.  I am wondering if Blueprint Courses might be a good alternative for you?  I've not done a ton of testing with Blueprint Courses (a relatively new feature of Canvas), but I know that  @kblack ‌ has (see his amazing blog: https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/higher-ed/blog/2017/08/05/designing-maintaining-and-perhaps-r...‌).  Maybe he would be able to help you work through what you'd like to accomplish.  Just a thought.

For now, since there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for quite a while, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered"...not because we've necessarily found an answer, but because this topic hasn't seen any new activity for a while.  This won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below, however.  I hope that's okay with you, Kevin.  Looking forward to hearing back from you.

kblack
Community Member

Thanks for the mention,  @chofer ‌ and yes,  @kevinw ‌ while I can't answer why Commons is doing that, it sounds like blueprint courses are a perfect solution for you.  Better yet, faculty don't have to do the lifting of importing...it's done automatically. (Well, with considerable assistance at first from you...)

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi again,  @kevinw ...

Checking in with you one more time.  Have you had an opportunity to review the blog post by  @kblack ‌ called Tips for Designing and Maintaining Blueprint Courses?  We think that would be a better solution for you vs. using Canvas Commons.  I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but if you feel that Ken's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his as "Correct".  None of this will prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments below.  I hope this is okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you, Kevin!