cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Comparing: Arc - VoiceThread - Flipgrid

Hi!

Newbie to posting here! Smiley Happy  I'm looking for information comparing Arc w/ Voicethread and Flipgrid. I've used Voicethread and Flipgrid, but not Arc. Our District is looking at these interactive video tools to support student learning. I'd appreciate any info you folks might have comparing Arc with the others.

Thanks!

Katie

@katiepala

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

kpalacio@sdccd.edu, I’m not much help because I’ve never looked specifically at any of these other than Arc. Yet, if you have any Questions about feature options in Arc I’m happy to answer them. 

Kona

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Kona, 

Thanks! In addition to videos, VoiceThread allows users to comment on images and/or sequences of still images. Is this an option with Arc? Or is Arc for video files only?

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Yes, that's a super important feature in Arc - that students can comment on the video - at any point in the video. So at a specific time/frame in the video. In addition, we've been told that coming (hopefully by January) will be the ability to embed quiz questions into the video and have the results go right into the Canvas gradebook. Which for us is HUGE. Another nice thing is that it's got a built in screen recorder. So faculty and students can make videos (webcam or screen cast) using Arc and it can automatically populate in Canvas - or submit as an assignment. 

Highlighted
Community Member

Kona, Thank you!

Highlighted
Community Member

Kona,

Another question occurred to me. Does Arc allow students to use videos to comment? Or are their comments text only? Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Students can't comment on a video file itself with a video - just text comments. But, if you had used a discussion and you wanted students to reply with a video they could use Arc (from phone or computer) to respond to the discussion or video prompt with a video. So not exactly the same as Filpgrid (which I have used very briefly), but you could make it work like that.

For us the big selling point of Arc was that we could use it to house our lecture video (or any other video) and the captioning. Captioning in Arc is pretty nice. They have auto captioning that is pretty accurate and it's easy to go in and tweak it. 

Highlighted
Community Member

Gotcha. That's one of the differences, then, between VT and Arc: Arc uses text-only comments, while VT allows text, audio, or video. I'm learning! Thanks so much for your help!

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Excellent! Glad I can help!

Highlighted
Community Member

I've been looking into Flipgrid, and the inability to respond using anything besides video is a drawback. If you don't have a webcam or a phone/tablet, you can't access the topic, let alone post replies. VT is much more versatile in that respect. 

Another problem for Flipgrid is that although it integrates with Speedgrader using the LTI, you cannot use a rubric for grading within Canvas.

0 Kudos
Labels