cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Complaints about lack of user-friendliness of platform

Jump to solution

First all all, I couldn't even find a place to submit a complaint!  So I am submitting it here.  (when I looked under help on Canvas, all it gave me was 24 hotline support and live chat support or email my university staff, none of which is what I wanted.)  So that's my first complaint.

2nd complaint:  When I want to delete a repeated calendar event, there is no way to delete all future recurring events with it and you have to click through 1 by 1 which is really annoying!

3rd complaint: When I added files, it made me click through and publish each one to my teaching staff only, which is annoying when you are adding 100+ files.  There was no obvious way to highlight them all and edit them at the same time.  Very annoying and time consuming.

All and all this platform does not seem very user friendly.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hello there, avfritz@stanford.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  I, too, am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some frustrations inside of Canvas.

3rd complaint: When I added files, it made me click through and publish each one to my teaching staff only, which is annoying when you are adding 100+ files.  There was no obvious way to highlight them all and edit them at the same time.  Very annoying and time consuming.

First, thank you for letting rcarney@instructure.com‌ know that you are using the "Files" area of your course.  What is puzzling me is when you said that when you added files, it made you click through and publish each one.  I just tested this out in my own sandbox course, and when I uploaded two files (How do I bulk upload files to a course?), both files were automatically published.  I didn't do anything extra with the publish settings.  Also, I am not really sure what you mean by "publish each one to my teaching staff only".  The only options available are the ones described in this Guide: How do I set usage rights and user access for a course file?  Could you describe this in more detail?  Have you tried using the Ctrl or Shift keys on your keyboard to select multiple files?  You should have an option available to mass publish multiple files all at one time.  For example, click on the first file you want to select, hold down your Shift key, then click on the last file you want to select.  This should highlight both of those file and any files between them.  Then click on the icon that looks like a padlock in front of a cloud at the top of the screen.  You should have an option to publish those files.  Or, you can Ctrl + click on individual files that aren't immediately next to each other and then click on that same icon.  It should work either way.  (By the way, using Ctrl and Shift are common in both Windows / Mac environments for file manipulation ... only Ctrl is replaced with the Cmd key, I believe.)

Again, if you could help fill in some of the details, that would be great.  Thanks Amy.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hey avfritz@stanford.edu

Sorry you weren't able to find the help you were looking for when you needed it.  I am glad you found the Community.  Most of the time, someone in here can help out.

First, the help menu does vary by how each school sets it up.  If you have suggestions to improve the help menu at your school you will want to reach out to your local school admin.  These two guides talk about the possibilities available on the help menu.

It is true that deleting recurring events is a 1:1 experience, and it can be tedious.  I thought that there was a feature idea requesting bulk management of these events, but in a quick search I wasn't able to find it.  Hopefully someone else from the community will be able to.  If not, you can submit it as a new idea to Ideas‌.

Were you adding files within the files space of a course, or within a module?

Highlighted

I was using the file space.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello there, avfritz@stanford.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community.  I, too, am sorry to hear that you are experiencing some frustrations inside of Canvas.

First, thank you for letting rcarney@instructure.com‌ know that you are using the "Files" area of your course.  What is puzzling me is when you said that when you added files, it made you click through and publish each one.  I just tested this out in my own sandbox course, and when I uploaded two files (How do I bulk upload files to a course?), both files were automatically published.  I didn't do anything extra with the publish settings.  Also, I am not really sure what you mean by "publish each one to my teaching staff only".  The only options available are the ones described in this Guide: How do I set usage rights and user access for a course file?  Could you describe this in more detail?  Have you tried using the Ctrl or Shift keys on your keyboard to select multiple files?  You should have an option available to mass publish multiple files all at one time.  For example, click on the first file you want to select, hold down your Shift key, then click on the last file you want to select.  This should highlight both of those file and any files between them.  Then click on the icon that looks like a padlock in front of a cloud at the top of the screen.  You should have an option to publish those files.  Or, you can Ctrl + click on individual files that aren't immediately next to each other and then click on that same icon.  It should work either way.  (By the way, using Ctrl and Shift are common in both Windows / Mac environments for file manipulation ... only Ctrl is replaced with the Cmd key, I believe.)

Again, if you could help fill in some of the details, that would be great.  Thanks Amy.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Is does not automatically publish for us, because we have to set permission rights first (maybe our university set this up this way?).  I was able to change permission rights for every file at once, but not the who can see it choices by selecting a bunch.  Here are the choices I have for who can see it: (again perhaps this is university specific?)

314961_pastedImage_1.png

Highlighted

Hello again, avfritz@stanford.edu Thank You for posting the screen shots.  Unfortunately, this appears to be something that has been set by your Canvas administrators at Stanford University.  Schools can set the usage rights policy at the account level, thereby requiring each file to be set individually.  You'll want to reach out to your school's local Canvas administrator to inquire about this more.  I found some possible pages on Stanford's website that might provide some contact information for you.

Canvas Support & Resources | Educational Technology | Stanford Medicine 

Help Resources | Canvas - a VPTL resource 

Stanford Canvas for Faculty and Teaching Staff – Stanford University 

I hope one of these resources will be of help to you, Amy

Highlighted

I am not aware of any way to require users to set usage rights for each file individually. I think they those settings can always be applied in bulk. Please point out where in documentation that exists.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

cdoherty‌, my interpretation of the first line of How do I set usage rights and user access for a course file? is that usage rights for files are required, those rights must be set for each file. I'd be happy to be corrected on this if someone has experience to the contrary. As the Require Usage Rights for Uploaded Files section of https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12590-4214196639 indicates, the local Canvas admin can set the Usage Rights option to Off, Allow, or On, and when it's set to On—as would seem to be the case here—the instructor cannot override that preference at the course level.

Highlighted

Yes, usage rights are required for each file. The point I was making is that it is not required to set each file individually. They can be set in bulk. Chris Hofer said, "Schools can set the usage rights policy at the account level, thereby requiring each file to be set individually." That makes it sound like institutions can force their users to set usage rights for files one by one and I don't think that's the case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

cdoherty‌, I see what you're saying; schools can—and do—require usage rights to be set, but don't have the ability to require that they be set individually. In other words, that is not in the hands of the school, but rather is (presumably) a function of how the feature is designed.

Is it possible to completely set usage rights for all of the files in a bulk file upload in one fell swoop? This, specifically, is where Amy ran into an obstacle:

...[it] does not automatically publish for us, because we have to set permission rights first (maybe our university set this up this way?).  I was able to change permission rights for every file at once, but not the who can see it choices by selecting a bunch.

If you could share how that is done, we might be able to correct the record and address her concern. And if that's not possible, this might be a great request to submit to Ideas‌.

Thanks!

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels