Conference 10 Concurrent Users?

Jump to solution
c1173265
Community Novice

In a post on this site I saw a response saying we could have up to 100 students in a Canvas Conference.  We will never get to that in one class.  But I also saw it said if you planned to have more than 10 Concurrent users we should consider zoom or other sources?

I'm asking because with all the Corona issues etc our school is planning to conference every class every day that has a child missing due to sickness, quarantine or that is choosing to go online only.  So we may have 20 classes going concurrent.  Is this just an issue with bandwidth in our own school or is the 10 some limit set by Canvas for each institution?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@c1173265  

The 10 is on the number of concurrent conferences, not the number of concurrent viewers within each session. The number of concurrent viewers is theoretically unlimited, but the recommendation is a limit of 100 users. This is from the Canvas Instructor Guide: How do I create a conference in a course? 

The limit of 10 is because of the version of BigBlueButton that Canvas is using. There's another note in that link I provided that says:

Note: If your institution is likely to need more than 10 concurrent Conferences powered by BigBlueButton, consider upgrading to Premium BigBlueButton or exploring alternative conferencing solutions Canvas partners with, such as Zoom, Hangouts, Teams, and other video conferencing tools who are offering free or discounted services.

The link to the video conferencing tools provides additional information and alternatives.

View solution in original post

0 Likes