cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Content Search on Canvas?

Jump to solution

Is there a way for me to search all Current Term Courses for a specific file types or content?  In other words, can I create a search for files with the extension .MPEG or .DOCX (or for files hyperlinked from a specific server)? 

Scenario:  We have a media server that is being decommissioned, we suspect that several courses have content hyperlinked to or uploaded from that site.  We want to identify which courses have this mapping (or content) so we can assist with establishing new linkage to the files.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Thanks for the plug awilliams!

tim.hass@email.edcc.edu​,

The Course Analysis Tool will let you search an individual course.  Just add the server name to the list of search terms.  You would need to move through your courses one at a time, but it is fairly quick.  Right now this is the best method out there.

The Google Custom Search method mentioned above is neat but I think it would only work on public courses.  Search a large amount of courses in one go is a large amount of API calls and really either requires a local database to store the results in or the new Canvas Hosted Data service which is still in beta.

Josh

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

tim.hass@email.edcc.edu, I don't have the answer to your question; however, I've added some tags to your question to enhance its prominence in search results, and I've also shared it with the Canvas Admins group, as the experts there most likely have experience with creating queries of this nature.

Highlighted

I'm also going to share this with the Canvas Developers​ group to see if there is something on the back end of Canvas that could do this.

Highlighted

Thanks stefaniesanders kona@richland.edu​ you two are awesome.

Highlighted
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hey Timothy,

Just to confirm; we do not currently have a search across courses, or across a course for that matter, built into the UI of Canvas.  This is an idea that has been suggested from time to time but at this time we do not have that feature added to the system.

Thanks,

SD

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

tim.hass@email.edcc.edu, I literally just remembered that someone had posted a work around for the ability to search within a course. I did some digging and came across this discussion - Good way to search content within a course?

It's not exactly what you were looking for, but it seems like it might be a step in the right direction.

Highlighted

Ooh!  That is cool!

Highlighted
Community Member

I think there may be some help in the tool created by jblumberg@champlain.edu​ which he shared at instcon 2015​ called . It is a tool to pull data about a course into a Google Spreadsheet and check for certain things, such as references to old terminology. I imagine this tool could be adapted to search for links to a specific media server as well.

Highlighted

Thanks for the plug awilliams!

tim.hass@email.edcc.edu​,

The Course Analysis Tool will let you search an individual course.  Just add the server name to the list of search terms.  You would need to move through your courses one at a time, but it is fairly quick.  Right now this is the best method out there.

The Google Custom Search method mentioned above is neat but I think it would only work on public courses.  Search a large amount of courses in one go is a large amount of API calls and really either requires a local database to store the results in or the new Canvas Hosted Data service which is still in beta.

Josh

View solution in original post