cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Content gets REPEATEDLY deleted, implement a "history" feature?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have been using Canvas for some days now in order to set up a course and I am honestly very frustrated and angered by its behavior. One would call me a rather "advanced" internet/computer user, so I believe my level of expertise should definitely be among the use cases you have been planning for.

The story is like this, I am trying to set up a course description and I have written some parts of it AT LEAST 3 FREAKING TIMES and for some reason, in the end it ends up not being there. Once, this was due to being logged in "the student view" in another browser tab. Another time, I think it was due to having forgotten another window open and somehow overwriting my newly added content. This last time, I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY MY CONTENT DISAPPEARED.

I could just say "fix it" and I would be justifiably entitled to do so, but instead I will STRONGLY suggest you to implement a "history" feature so even if you don't fix your system, someone does not have to write things over and over again, or be forced to use an external editor that ACTUALLY WORKS AS INTENDED.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator

Hello there, dimitris@platis.solutions Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  I am sorry to see that you're having some frustrations while building content in a Canvas course.  Although I do not work for Instructure (the folks that make Canvas), I know that certain parts of Canvas courses do have page history.  (Though, truth be told, I wish that more areas of Canvas had page history.  More on that later.)

I'm not exactly sure where you were trying to edit a course description.  Maybe in your course "Settings" screen where there is a "Description" text box?  (If that is the case, just an FYI that whatever text you display in that box does not show up anywhere for students.  See the "View Description" section in this Guide: How do I set details for a course? (Just over half-way down it discussed this and the public course index.)  Or, might you have been editing a page within your course that included the description so that your students could see it.  If you created a page (How do I create a new page in a course? ), those pages do get a version history screen (How do I view the history of a page in a course?).  However, if you were editing your "Syllabus" page to add a description, I don't think that has a version history available, unfortunately...even though it very much looks like a regular "page" in Canvas.

I mentioned there are areas of Canvas that don't have version history.  Assignments, Discussions, and Syllabus come to mind.  Here's one example where version history would be helpful: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12746-enable-history-and-restore-functions-for-assignments" mo....

Finally, I'm not sure which browser you were using while editing, but it's common knowledge around here that either Chrome or Firefox are the better browsers to be using instead of IE or Edge when navigating around the Canvas environment.  I'm not sure if browser choice played a factor into the issues you were experiencing, however.

I hope that some of this information has been helpful to you, Dimitris.  If there is anything I've assumed incorrectly above, please come back to provide an update so that we here in the Community can help you out.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

Hello there, dimitris@platis.solutions Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thanks for posting your question.  I am sorry to see that you're having some frustrations while building content in a Canvas course.  Although I do not work for Instructure (the folks that make Canvas), I know that certain parts of Canvas courses do have page history.  (Though, truth be told, I wish that more areas of Canvas had page history.  More on that later.)

I'm not exactly sure where you were trying to edit a course description.  Maybe in your course "Settings" screen where there is a "Description" text box?  (If that is the case, just an FYI that whatever text you display in that box does not show up anywhere for students.  See the "View Description" section in this Guide: How do I set details for a course? (Just over half-way down it discussed this and the public course index.)  Or, might you have been editing a page within your course that included the description so that your students could see it.  If you created a page (How do I create a new page in a course? ), those pages do get a version history screen (How do I view the history of a page in a course?).  However, if you were editing your "Syllabus" page to add a description, I don't think that has a version history available, unfortunately...even though it very much looks like a regular "page" in Canvas.

I mentioned there are areas of Canvas that don't have version history.  Assignments, Discussions, and Syllabus come to mind.  Here's one example where version history would be helpful: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12746-enable-history-and-restore-functions-for-assignments" mo....

Finally, I'm not sure which browser you were using while editing, but it's common knowledge around here that either Chrome or Firefox are the better browsers to be using instead of IE or Edge when navigating around the Canvas environment.  I'm not sure if browser choice played a factor into the issues you were experiencing, however.

I hope that some of this information has been helpful to you, Dimitris.  If there is anything I've assumed incorrectly above, please come back to provide an update so that we here in the Community can help you out.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Chris,

It was the syllabus I was editing. I am using Chrome and I am not sure, at least the last time, why my changes were lost. In any case, I've started using an external editor now.

Good to know at least that for some pages the history feature is there...

Labels