cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradhorn
Community Member

Content (quizzes and pages) disappearing

Ok, I'm back with more mysteries. I'm having things disappear—quizzes and pages to be specific. Using the www.school.edu/coursename/undelete trick didn't work for me. I always save and/or publish things so that's not it, but there are two things that could be contributing to the phenomenon: 1) I am working collaboratively with another teacher and we are often working in the course at the same time. 2) I also often have more than one Canvas tab open with my course in it. Both of these have been the case for more than a month but it's only recently that things have started to disappear.

Any ideas, oh gurus of Canvas?

Tags (1)
27 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

bradhorn, not sure about the guru part, but my vote is for the two of you in working on the same course. We've had this happen in our office more than once and we were testing things earlier this week and found that if multiple people are in working on something at the same time the only thing that gets saved is what the person who saves last was working on.

I's possible that you having Canvas open in multiple tabs/browsers could be the issue, but honestly I do that pretty much every day (for the last 4+ years) and haven't had that happen.

bradhorn
Community Member

This makes sense to me as the lost pages, to the best of my recollection, *were* created while we were in the course at the same time. Just to be clear, though—we haven't not been working in the same pages, quizzes, etc. at the same time, only working simultaneously on *different* pages, quizzes, etc. in the same course. Do you still have the same conclusion after knowing that, or no?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

If you were working on different pages then no, I wouldn't expect this to happen. In my office we started to be very clear about what we were working on (when we were in working on the same course) and stopped having the problem. This might be a case where you need to monitor it a little closer and as soon as it happens (provide the specifics and) contact Canvas Support to check into it

It is because you both have active instances of the same course section open & in edit modes at the same time. It has less chance of happening if you were to be working in different sections, like one of you in Announcements & the other in Pages, just so long as you are not both working on Pages/Announcements/Assignments/etc. at the same time.

Example:

Say you make a page called "puppies" & save it, then the other person saves their page called "kittens" & when you both go back into the course, you can only see "kittens". This happens because the newest save of kittens was made on an old cached version of the Pages section that did not have "puppies", so essentially Canvas is seeing it as "puppies" never existed & overwrote what was there (this is also why it does not appear in the deleted items, it wasn't technically deleted, it was overwritten to appear as though it was never created to begin with).

It could also have a little to do with which browsers each of you are using also.

Same here, we have found that if you have two or more teachers working on the same course things will meritoriously get moved, deleted or edited either by mistake or unknowingly. 

bradhorn
Community Member

First off—I like you people. Let's be friends.

Second... ysmalls,  @kona ‌, maybe James Jones (whom I can't tag for some reason) since this has nothing to do with Mastery Paths .... (OR DOES IT?) — this was an instance of me creating content that my fellow Canvaser definitely wasn't working in. Also, the pages that went awol weren't in the magical .../undelete closet. Something funkier than mistaken-deletion via co-editing is going on here, unfortunately. The only clue I have is that all the lost pages were created during one Canvas session. I'll try to look for other patterns and will contact Support as per Kona's suggestion. Thanks for holding my hand here, everyone.

bradhorn...HA!  I likes you too!  And now following you!

Well I can tell you from experience the "undelete" closet is very temperamental (MO) and not always the answer.  By any change have you tried looking in your beta/test instance to see if you have those "missing in action" content? 

Also, not sure if this would help but your Canvas admin can always check the log of those other trusted users to see if maybe they had any hand in the matter (this might be more work though)?

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

We had a case of this in a course just this week and called Canvas Support and they were able to go in and tell us exactly what happened and who the culprit was!

bradhorn
Community Member

How do I access the Beta environment? I have tried looking it up (in places like this: How do I access the Canvas beta environment as an instructor?) but I can't make sense of the "[organization name].beta.instructure.com" instruction. For me that would be (I think) wisc.beta.instructure.com which kicked me to a login to Canvas via my institution's login page. That login failed. I also tried wisc.EDU.beta.instructure.com but got a "your connection is not private" error and couldn't proceed.

Is my Canvas acct haunted by the ghost of a disgruntled employee?