cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennifervinson
Surveyor

Cool things about Canvas for students

We are new to canvas and in the new year we will be starting the year fresh with canvas. We are looking for a video to help us get the students excited about the new things they will be able to do on Canvas. I can find one but it is more aimed at teachers not students. 

Does anyone know where I can find one? 

5 Replies
Bobby2
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jvinson ‌ welcome to the Canvas Community. And enjoy your transition.

As far as I know this is a 'hole in the market' as far as student videos are concerned. What sort of institution are you? Elementary/Primary, High School, College, or University? I guess each one would need a different video. Let's start making them!

We just did a compilation video of what teachers and principals have been up to with Canvas in our first year state wide K-12. People are keen to see these real life stories. 

nr2522
Community Member

Hello,  @jennifervinson ‌.

You may want to check out the videos in the "Students" and "All Users" sections at https://community.canvaslms.com/community/answers/guides/video-guide to see if any of these are what you had in mind to share with your students.

Best regards,

Nelson

ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @jennifervinson .  You may have already planned this, but if you don't find a video you like you may consider making one yourself with something like Screencast-O-Matic, Camtasia, or a similar product.  Students seem to like viewing a video that shows their instance of Canvas, and this way you can highlight integrations that you have which wouldn't be shown in a stock video.

I'm not sure about others here, but at my institution students seem most concerned about how to log in, navigate a course, and get help . . . but got most excited about the "what if" grade book, Canvas Student app, and the calendar feature.

Good luck!  Our students took to Canvas without any issue when we switched systems.

laurakgibbs
Surveyor

It's not a video, but I know that students like being able to change their course names on the Dashboard. These are the Canvas Tips I focus on with my students:

Online Course Wiki / Tech Tips

mcosio
Community Member

Anyone developing a cool video yet? We'd love to get our student excited at Canvas during Orientation. This one for instructors is along the lines of what we're thinking. anyone? https://hcc.instructure.com/courses/52006/pages/get-to-know-canvas