cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Copy Announcements to another section

How do I copy announcements from on section to another?

9 Replies
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Hi there, aalder1@ivytech.edu!  Welcome to the Community! Thanks for taking the time to reach out and ask the question. I would like to clarify. Announcements live in a specific location within a course, so you can't copy them between sections since they don't live in sections. See the What are Announcements? guide for more info on that side. 

If you would like to copy announcements from one course to another, you most definitely can do that if you are an instructor that has permissions given by your institution. All you would need to do would be to navigate to your course > settings > then "Import Content" and "select specific content" instead of "All Content" then simply navigate to the announcement you'd like to import. Feel free to reference this guide for more information: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9878-4152497985 

I hope this helps answer your question. Please feel free to clarify if I missed the point!

Highlighted
Community Member

I was unable to expose the discussion objects to select them and import them to another class/section. Can you check again? Thanks.

Hi rkempf@sjcawi.org‌, you may need to import all discussions, and then delete the ones you do not need. This method will not let you import on a more granular level, but it'll still be less for you to weed through than importing an entire course you do not need. 

Highlighted

I have this exact same question & issue.  Announcements are not discussions, and they do not appear among the selection options to selectively import.  So where & how are you able to do this?

(NOTE: I am our institution's Canvas admin, so I have full capabilities and no restrictions)

Highlighted

HI davids@tabor.edu

You are correct, and there is no way to selectively copy announcement from one course into another.

The only way I know of to accomplish this is to copy/paste the content of the announcements, but this can be rather tedious depending on how much you need to share.

Kelley

Highlighted

kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu‌'s correct, davids@tabor.edu‌, and for what it's worth, my end-of-semester/prepping-for-new-semester workflow was to do a selective course copy of all course content except Announcements, and then in another selective course copy I copied only the announcements into a sandbox course. I then copy-pasted each announcement into the new semester's course (and adjusted the links in each announcement) as I needed it. It is indeed a manual process, but it worked fairly well for me. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello aalder1@ivytech.edu...

I've been looking through older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I noticed that we have not heard from you since you first posted this question on August 9, 2017.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you've received (above)?  Did any of the above responses help to answer your question?  Or, do you have any outstanding questions yet as it relates to your initial question?  If you feel that one of the above responses has helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please let us know by posting a message below so that members of the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't keep you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Alan.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon!

Highlighted
Surveyor

It seems oddly inconsistent to allow a simple "copy to" option in every other element of Canvas, but not allow users to copy an announcement from class to class. And it looks like users cannot edit announcements -- that the only option is to delete them and try again. I have no idea the rationale behind these decisions, and it seems that I'm not the only one to be surprised. I guess I'll start writing my announcements in MS Word and "cut & paste." This makes Canvas less user-friendly than I had previously assumed.

(New user; new school year -- 1st announcement)

Highlighted
Surveyor

The simple "Copy to..." tool works for copying Announcements to other sections in our instance of Canvas.