Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cchapman
Learner II

Copy Module

Jump to solution

Hi there!

Our awesome Canvas community was very helpful to verify that at the moment, the way to share a module, was to share it to Commons. That worked when I imported the first one. Now, I'm trying to set up a template course with 16 modules, with all the same 'layout/structure' just changing the 'module' number. When I imported the module named Module 0X - Title Goes Here; I was able to rename the modules from Module 0X to Module 01. When I imported the 0X module again, it 'wiped' out the one I just edited. Does that make sense?

Example: Module 0X - Title Goes Here was renamed Module 01 - Title Goes Here, and then I renamed each of the pages to include the number (01).

Each module contains: 4 Text Headers with content, assignment, discussion, quiz, exam and a summary pages.

It would be SO cool to 'right click' on a module 'tab' and duplicate the WHOLE module at one time....my dream!

Thanks in advance!

Cheryl C

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cchapman ​, try to import the module into your course from the course you're working in. For example, if the module is set up in Course A then go to Course Import and import this module back into Course A. This is a trick that's worked for copying quizzes and other content items, so I'm guessing it might work for modules. One thing, it sometimes only seems to want to copy a couple of times and then I go do something else (make sure everything is renamed to the new module/page/etc) and then try importing again.

Here's the guide for this - How do I import content from another Canvas course? - just make sure and select the course you are working in and then choose "Select specific content" so you can select just the module you want to copy.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cchapman ​, try to import the module into your course from the course you're working in. For example, if the module is set up in Course A then go to Course Import and import this module back into Course A. This is a trick that's worked for copying quizzes and other content items, so I'm guessing it might work for modules. One thing, it sometimes only seems to want to copy a couple of times and then I go do something else (make sure everything is renamed to the new module/page/etc) and then try importing again.

Here's the guide for this - How do I import content from another Canvas course? - just make sure and select the course you are working in and then choose "Select specific content" so you can select just the module you want to copy.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

dtsokeefe
Community Member

thanks for this workaround  @kona ​

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @cchapman ​...

We've not heard back from you in a while.  Did  @kona ​' response help answer your question about copying modules?  Please let us know...thanks!!!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@cchapman ​, since we haven't heard back from you, we're hopeful that  @kona ​'s proposed solution has helped you manage sharing modules to Commons and back. If you still need assistance, just post a follow-up reply to "bump" the thread.

Apologies Canvas peeps!! Been swamped! Yes, this worked, and as Kona said, after a few times, the module I renamed, was again named to the original. I intend to test it further over the holiday! :smileycool: