cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve_Watts
Explorer III

Copying a group set

Jump to solution

Does anyone know of a way to duplicate group sets within a course without having to enter all the group names again?

An example: I want to use sign-up groups for my students to pick their first and second project choice. I create a group set called "First Choice" with groups in it called "Project 1", "Project 2" etc. I then need another group set called "Second Choice" and the group names in this should be the same as in the first group set. Is there a way I can copy the first set and give it a different name but keep the group names within it the same? This would avoid having to enter all the group names again in the second set. I've tried using the import/export content feature but this copies pretty much everything in the course (content, settings) except groups.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Steve

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @Steve_Watts ​...

Groups don't copy from course to course, unfortunately.  I've found a couple discussion threads here that are worth looking through, though:

-- voting now open for this one!

Re: Copying Groups to Instructor Shell -- check out the posting at the bottom by  @rmurchshafer2 ,

I'm also not sure that you can copy group sets in the same course...might be manual process right now.

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @Steve_Watts ​...

Groups don't copy from course to course, unfortunately.  I've found a couple discussion threads here that are worth looking through, though:

-- voting now open for this one!

Re: Copying Groups to Instructor Shell -- check out the posting at the bottom by  @rmurchshafer2 ,

I'm also not sure that you can copy group sets in the same course...might be manual process right now.

Hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

Thanks Chris, I've now voted on that suggestion.

Importing groups from one course into another might be enough, then we could try creating the groups in a master course and importing into the destination course several times.

I just accidentally created 40 groups in one group set in the wrong course site. At least it was unused.  So I thought I would go ahead and try importing that course into the course it was supposed to be in.  It didn't work.  The group set with the 40 groups did not import. Smiley Sad  I'm so voting up that idea!