Copying overwrites existing material.

Jump to solution
richarrv
Community Novice

When I copy canvas course material into another course, it overwrites the existing material. How to I prevent this? I want to add the new material to the course, not replace the existing material.

1 Solution
erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Ramona,

If Canvas detects the same content from one course to another, it will be overwritten. If you want to make the content appear to be new content, I'd recommend duplicating the content so it has a new content ID and title. You can learn how to duplicate content by referencing the articles about duplicating content from the Canvas Guides here. You can duplicate assignments, module items, modules, pages, and discussions.

Once you're ready to import the new content, you can use the Course Import Tool to import specific content and select only the new duplicated content you want to import— see How do I select specific content as part of a course import? And if the Direct Share functionality is enabled for your institution, importing to another course is even easier: use this Direct Share guides filter to read about the content item you want to share to your course.

Hope that helps!

Erin

View solution in original post

0 Likes