cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmenge
Community Member

Course Copy

Jump to solution

How can I copy one course into another one in canvas? An instructor made me a teacher of her master class and now I want to copy it into my class to edit.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kmenge ​...

It sounds like we have a similar setup at our Technical College, so I'll help you through this.  In order for you to import content into your own up-coming course, you will need to be assigned as the "Teacher" in both the "master" course and your own up-coming course.  This way, you have the ability to import course content.  Once you are sure that you are the "Teacher" in both courses, there are a few Canvas Guides that you can look through:

What is the Course Import Tool?

How do I import content from another Canvas course?

Video Link : 1105

As shown in the second Guide I've linked, you'll want to be in the course that is blank (no content).  Then, after you hit the "Import Content into this Course" button, you'll want to select "Copy a Canvas Course".  Hopefully you will be able to see a listing of your courses...including the "master" course that you want to copy the content from.  (Think of it this way...your "master" course is the "source" course; your up-coming course is your "destination" course...as far as where content lives and where it's being copied to).  The rest of that Guide should help you along the way.  Please come back here and let us know if this information was helpful to you.  Thanks Margaret!

p.s. I'm going to tag your question with key words so that others who search for similar topics will be able to search for it easier.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @kmenge ​...

It sounds like we have a similar setup at our Technical College, so I'll help you through this.  In order for you to import content into your own up-coming course, you will need to be assigned as the "Teacher" in both the "master" course and your own up-coming course.  This way, you have the ability to import course content.  Once you are sure that you are the "Teacher" in both courses, there are a few Canvas Guides that you can look through:

What is the Course Import Tool?

How do I import content from another Canvas course?

Video Link : 1105

As shown in the second Guide I've linked, you'll want to be in the course that is blank (no content).  Then, after you hit the "Import Content into this Course" button, you'll want to select "Copy a Canvas Course".  Hopefully you will be able to see a listing of your courses...including the "master" course that you want to copy the content from.  (Think of it this way...your "master" course is the "source" course; your up-coming course is your "destination" course...as far as where content lives and where it's being copied to).  The rest of that Guide should help you along the way.  Please come back here and let us know if this information was helpful to you.  Thanks Margaret!

p.s. I'm going to tag your question with key words so that others who search for similar topics will be able to search for it easier.

View solution in original post

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kmenge ​, it looks like Chris provided a pretty good response to your question. Did you get a chance to take a look at it? Did it help?

kedgecomb
Community Member

Once you copy one course into another, you will be an old pro!  Smiley Happy  Faculty usually have apprehension at first, but then they excel with it!