cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Course Home Page

Jump to solution

I would like my current announcement to be the first thing my student's see when they log into my course.  Is there a way to set this option?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer II

Hi wanda@stayontrack.net

I don't believe it's possible to have the announcement itself appear as soon as a student enters the course - the first page can only be a wiki page, the course syllabus, the list of modules or the course "activity stream". But you could set the first page to be a wiki page that contains a link to the announcement and nothing more, with the link being labeled in such a way that the students know they need to view it. See my attached screenshot for an example of how this might look.

The following page in the guides gives instructions for adding a link to course content items from within a wiki page. At the point where the instructions tell you to select a wiki page from the Links list, you can expand the list of announcements and choose from there instead.

How do I insert links to course content into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Explorer II

Hi wanda@stayontrack.net

I don't believe it's possible to have the announcement itself appear as soon as a student enters the course - the first page can only be a wiki page, the course syllabus, the list of modules or the course "activity stream". But you could set the first page to be a wiki page that contains a link to the announcement and nothing more, with the link being labeled in such a way that the students know they need to view it. See my attached screenshot for an example of how this might look.

The following page in the guides gives instructions for adding a link to course content items from within a wiki page. At the point where the instructions tell you to select a wiki page from the Links list, you can expand the list of announcements and choose from there instead.

How do I insert links to course content into the Rich Content Editor using the Content Selector?

View solution in original post

Community Team
Community Team

Hi wanda@stayontrack.net, s.j.watts@bham.ac.uk​'s advice is correct: currently, you cannot set Announcements as your course home page. A feature idea for this capability was submitted in an earlier voting period, and was archived with a response from Instructure:   You might want to follow that feature idea for updates.

In the meantime, some Canvas users who are handy with code have come up with ways to create a custom announcements "widget" for any course home page that uses the Rich Content Editor. Here are the links for your consideration (note that the resources reside in the Instructional Designers​ group, so you'll need to join that group to view the documents):

Announcements Widget for Home Page (will require that your school make an edit to its global JavaScript)

Create an Announcements Box on your Course Home Page (this is a simple box that you would populate with content yourself)