cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Course Migration of modules from Etudes

Jump to solution

I am using the Course Migration tool to move my course from Etudes. The Modules do not seem to upload, it sits there loading for several minutes then comes up with this error: "Unable to upload file, server error please try again."

Can anyone navigate a solution for this? Is there a file size limit that I am unaware of? I have tried several times and two different browsers.

Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 5.34.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 5.35.54 PM.png

Thanks in advance for any ideas or help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Navigator II

Thanks, jlvaughn@mail.ltcc.edu​; that's what I get for not watching the entirety of a video to which I've linked! Smiley Wink That is definitely a custom tool that has been designed for (and probably by) your school or consortium. It's not something baked into Canvas per se, so we won't be able to troubleshoot that in the Canvas Community. Since you haven't gotten feedback yet from any Etudes-using members of the LMS & Migrations group, you might want to reach out directly to your school's admins so they can have a look at the hiccup with the modules.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

Hi jlvaughn@mail.ltcc.edu​...

I see that you also posted a message over in the Course Migration from Etudes - Module Will not All Load At Once and Loaded Separate Replace One Anot... question started by zanderc@lasc.edu.  I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that I am going to share your question with the Etudes Migration Tool Users​ group here in the Canvas Community.  Hopefully this will get your question some additional exposure here in the Community.  I hope this is okay with you.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Chris Hofer,

Yes, thank you for sharing. I see that is a Private Group, is that something I can join? Thanks.

Highlighted
Surveyor

Yes, you should be able to click the "Join" button and then someone will approve you. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Surveyor

jlvaughn@mail.ltcc.edu​,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi rogrant@nmsu.edu​-

Well, no, I never did really receive an answer. The course migration doesn't work so instead we have to use a clumsy workaround. So I'm sticking with the work around until the course migration tool works.

Thanks for checking in.

Highlighted
Navigator II

jlvaughn@mail.ltcc.edu, your screenshot doesn't appear to be of the Canvas interface. Are you experiencing this problem when you're trying to create the Canvas export in Etudes? If so, we won't really be able to troubleshoot this here; have you reached out to their support desk for assistance? I'm not familiar with Etudes, so I'm hoping my quick search unveiled the correct start screens for your purposes: Etudes : Gateway : Welcome  and this help site for instructors: Instructors - Etudes

I also found this video on YouTube about Etudes-to-Canvas migrations, and maybe it will help: Etudes to Canvas Migration Tool - YouTube

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi stefaniesanders​-

Good to hear from you, thanks for the reply. The first screenshot is from Canvas using the Content Migration tool (from Account > Settings > Content Migration). The second screenshot is what comes up after the Content Migration tool fails, so it pops up in the browser (in this case Chrome). I have tried every browser I have, same thing on all of them. It is almost like it times out or there is a file upload size limitation.

It only works if you do a small portion of the Etudes course. Which means you have to export several smaller chunks of your Etudes course then upload them into several Canvas course and combine them all (which of course means tons of time and lots of cleanup).

Hope that helps clarify.

Highlighted
Navigator II

jlvaughn@mail.ltcc.edu, I have never seen this pathway (Account > Settings > Content Migration) in Canvas, nor am I familiar with a "Content Migration Tool" in Canvas. I tried to replicate the steps by clicking on Account > Settings, but I did not see any subsequent option for Content Migration...and I tried this in several different Canvas accounts. Could this be a custom feature that your school has designed for you?

I also note that my search on Etudes displayed this screen as something that resides in Etudes, not in Canvas; it's the Etudes-to-Canvas Migration Tool, as depicted here: Migrating Courses from Etudes to Canvas -- California Community Colleges

I'm happy to learn something new, so perhaps you could take a moment to record a screencast that shows the steps you're taking in Canvas to access the Course Migration Tool and get to that mystery screen. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Member

Perhaps it is specific to certain schools, I just know that we have it. And, if you watch the video you included in your first post starting at 4:30 you can see the Content Migration in Canvas (Etudes to Canvas Migration Tool - YouTube ).

It is a multistep process, you export content from Etudes then use the Canvas tool to import it, as shown in the video. He spends the first few minutes exporting from Etudes but around minute 4:30 you will see the Canvas portion.

Thanks!

Labels