cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meycod
Community Member

Course Summary in Syllabus

I'm making my syllabus. I have what I need in the rich content editor. However, below there is a "Course Summary," which looks like a complete mess. I don't need students to see every single assignment/quiz/etc... in the course. Is there any way to remove this?

This is what shows up below my rich content editor, and I'd like to get rid of it, but there is no edit button to delete it.

237364_Screenshot 2017-06-06 at 11.01.04 AM.png

11 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @meycod 

Currently, there is no functionality in Canvas for either turning off this feature, nor hiding it.

However, there is a very similar feature request currently open for voting and on the Product Team's radar. You can review, vote and participate in the discussions for this idea at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/6601-option-to-exclude-assignments-from-syllabus 

I hope this helps,

Kelley

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Something you could do to get around this is not use the Syllabus link on the left and instead create your own Page called Syllabus that has your Syllabus information and add this page to your course Modules and/or home page. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @meycod  ...

I noticed that it has been over two months since you first posted this question here in the Canvas Community.  I thought I'd check in with you to see if you've had a chance to review the replies you've received from  @kmeeusen ‌ and  @kona ‌.  If so, did either of those responses help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some help with your initial question?  If you feel that Kelley's or Kona's reply has answered your question, please mark one of them as "Correct".  But, if you are still looking for some help, please post a message below so that members of the Community can continue to assist you with this.  Since we've not heard from you and since there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for over two months, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered".  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions/comments related to this thread below.  I hope that's okay with you, Cody.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

nethra_sambamoo
Surveyor

Thanks for asking this question.  I had to spend some time. When I copy a course, I get the previous term Bluejeans sessions also copied and I need to eliminate them; I do not mind keeping other activities that are generated from the current term weekly activities with dates, in the syllabus. 

So I ended up here looking for a solution because it is not clear.

The way to edit the calendar-related summary at the end of the syllabus is to click on any one of the calendar symbol on the left of an event.  It will take you to the calendar. There you can highlight the event and click it.  It gives one of the options as "Delete".  Go from there!

Thanks. 

sberry7
Community Member

Why is there no way to check/uncheck items you do or don't want on this page? And easily reorder them?

Hey  @sberry7 , this section of the syllabus is described in more details as the "Syllabus Table" in How do I use the Syllabus as an instructor? and How do I use the Syllabus as a student? It is intended to be auto-generated by the details of the rest of the course. 

jew21
Surveyor

Same question. It is really confusing for students to have to look at info that doesn't apply

Hi  @jew21  Welcometo the Canvas Community! Students should only be seeing information that you have published. Quoting from the guide, How do I use the Syllabus as an instructor?, "All assignments (unpublished and published) are listed in the syllabus for instructors, but students only see published assignments."

So I guess I’m using terminology incorrectly. I want students to see assignments. What I don’t need them to see is the listing of everything at the bottom of the syllabus page.

Dr. Jack Watson

Professor of Soil Physics and Biogeochemistry

ESM Director of Graduate Studies

Ecosystem Science and Management Dept.

409 ASI Building

University Park, PA 16802

jackwatson@psu.edu<mailto:jackwatson@psu.edu>

814-863-6714