Course files turning into user files when linking?

Jump to solution
esicken
Community Member

I was going in to fix some broken links to files within a course and am having a weird issue. Here's my process and then what happens:

• click the link text and remove the existing link
  • keep that same text selected and go to to add a course link
  • go to Files > Course Files
  • locate the correct document and select it to link it

And then I run the link resolver again and it says that the document might not be accessible because I'm linking to MY account files. But I'm not - I don't even have a copy of that file saved to my account to select! When I look at the page and hover over the link, it does show that it's going to my files instead of to the course files. 

Any ideas why this is happening or what I can do to get it to stop? 😂

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @esicken ...

Hmmm...that does sound pretty strange.  The only thing I can think of that might be causing the issue is if your page somehow had some rogue HTML code which was pointing you to the incorrect location.  Have you looked through your HTML code to see if you can identify where the link is and if there is any other code near it that would possibly be pointing your link to somewhere else?  Sometimes when doing troubleshooting like this, it's best to use a site to clean up your HTML code and then paste it back into Canvas...then try creating your links again.  Here's a blog posting I wrote a while back that might be of some help: HTML Cleanup 

Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.  Take care, and stay safe.

View solution in original post