cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cherith
Community Member

Course import from Blackboard

Has anyone successfully imported a year long course from a Blackboard export file to Canvas? How long did it take? 

How seamless was the import and course format? 

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @cherith  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  Thank you for posting your question.  I am not too sure of an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that I will share your question with the LMS Migration Strategies group here in the Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you are not yet following this group, please use the link that I have provided, and then click on a couple buttons in the upper right corner of the screen: "Follow" and "Actions" (the "Actions" menu will give you additional options where you can "Join group".)

Also, I'm not sure if you've seen these Guides, but I will provide you with the links:

I'm hoping all of this will be helpful to you, Cherith.  Please let the Community know if you have any additional questions about this.

How do you import from Blackboard Ultra into Canvas?

mzimmerman
Adventurer III

Hello Cherith,

We migrated from Blackboard to Canvas in 2017, and we still have faculty requesting us to import old materials.

What's important in the import is not how "long" the course is, but how big the import file is (does it have lots of large media files?) and what kinds of tools and content it has in it.  Courses are structured differently in Blackboard than they are in Canvas, and has different tools.  Some kinds of things like quizzes import fairly easily, but "modules" in Blackboard are very different from "modules" in Canvas, so those do not import well at all.  

Mike

wcarpenter
Community Member

Hey  @cherith ,

Course Migration duration is going to be dependent on how big that course is. For success, Instructure says about 85% success rate for BB courses migrated into Canvas. Reasons being is that Canvas does not have a Journal/Blog feature similar to that of Bb, so those come over a bit funky. 

You may want to see if someone from Canvas migrations can attend your weekly talk with your Customer Success Manager and they may be able to give you a more detailed breakdown.