cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Course titles and merged sections?

Jump to solution

As an instructor, I like to use sections to organize multiple sections of the same course into a single place to manage content.  The problem is that one of the sections must form the title of the course (the parent) while the other sections utilize the parent title not their own section descriptions.  For example, section 3 and 4 of biology 100 are joined into a single manageable course, but the title of the course is section 3.  Students in section 4 see the title section 3 which is initially very confusing.  How do we manage these section unions and make a title that reflects both sections?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Hi dbastedo@valleycollege.edu - Yes, the exact same thing happens at my own institution. I will normally just tell faculty to inform their students within (in your case) the section 4 course site that the section is named section 3 due to the cross-listing. Also, one can encourage students to create a nickname for the course on their Dashboard.

That said, I understand the concern. You can ask a Canvas administrator to rename the course for you, so long as it will not interfere with any enrollment process that may be automatically going on within your institution. I have occasionally done that upon request for our own faculty, since our enrollment process looks at the SIS ID (as I imagine most enrollment processes do....) and not the course name.  They may or may not be willing to do this, depending on how large the institution is. I am not too sure there is any way around this, however, given the way Canvas treats cross-sections as a "parent-child" type of relationship.

Hope this helps a bit, David.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Community Member

Hi dbastedo@valleycollege.edu - Yes, the exact same thing happens at my own institution. I will normally just tell faculty to inform their students within (in your case) the section 4 course site that the section is named section 3 due to the cross-listing. Also, one can encourage students to create a nickname for the course on their Dashboard.

That said, I understand the concern. You can ask a Canvas administrator to rename the course for you, so long as it will not interfere with any enrollment process that may be automatically going on within your institution. I have occasionally done that upon request for our own faculty, since our enrollment process looks at the SIS ID (as I imagine most enrollment processes do....) and not the course name.  They may or may not be willing to do this, depending on how large the institution is. I am not too sure there is any way around this, however, given the way Canvas treats cross-sections as a "parent-child" type of relationship.

Hope this helps a bit, David.

View solution in original post

Community Member

Thanks so much Ken.  You are right it is difficult to get changes to the name of a course.  The registration people don't want that.  I do like your thought for students to create a nickname for the class.  It is not the best solution, but it is practical and I am going to use it.  Thanks for the idea.  The more individual we can make sections, the better for instructors and students.  Things like making assignments, announcements, and grade viewing for just one section of a course are so, so helpful. I hope that canvas continues to provide this type of individualization for other elements of a section of a course.