cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Create a teaching staff page(??how)

Jump to solution

on our previous homegrown teaching web system, one could create a teaching staff page quite easily.

it would look like this:

photo  name

office hours

email

etc

photo  name

office hours

email

etc

photo  name

office hours

email

etc

That is, it is nice to know who the teaching staff is for the course.

All one had to do was put in the email for the instructor and their photo appeared.

then add in the other info.

does canvas have this capability? oh sure, I can build a table from scratch to do it but a) how do i get the photo their without cutting and pasting and b) if it can't do it-why not? how do people create a teaching staff page or am i weird for wanting one?

thanks

m

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Team
Community Team

Hello mparzen@fas.harvard.edu

Good question!  While Canvas does not have a directory for facebook-like functionality, you could, as you say, create an html table in your course home page or syllabus description.  The rich content editor will let you create a table and upload staff pictures and add other information.

If you are interested in this question you might find Creating an inviting course home page​ interesting.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Community Team
Community Team

Hello mparzen@fas.harvard.edu

Good question!  While Canvas does not have a directory for facebook-like functionality, you could, as you say, create an html table in your course home page or syllabus description.  The rich content editor will let you create a table and upload staff pictures and add other information.

If you are interested in this question you might find Creating an inviting course home page​ interesting.

View solution in original post

Surveyor

Thanks! I must be getting old (well I know I am old) since I would never refer to what I was looking for as "facebook-like functionality" [and I honestly have no idea what that even means].

Where I work, we usually don't know the complete teaching staff a priori, and indeed we don't get a list of enrolled students until a week into classes. Since TAs and such are dependent on class size, the staff isn't finalized for a week. Hence the need for an easy to maintain and dynamic list of teaching staff for the course. I'm surprised Canvas doesn't have a tool [not sure what you young people call it-widget, app?] to gather everyone that has been labeled an instructor or TA on the site and put them on one page where one could add office hours and contact info. There, that's the app I am looking for I guess.

Thanks again.

mparzen@fas.harvard.edu, our Community Manager rcarney@instructure.com​ suggested creating a table that links each name to his or her directory contact, the reasoning being that the directory is always up to date and any changes to the directory would result in having to manually change and update a stagnant page in the course. Like scottd@instructure.com​, I'm not familiar with any automatic or widget-like approach to this; I'm going to share your question with the Instructional Designers​ and Canvas Developers​ spaces to see if anyone there has run across an LTI (plug-in tool) or other application that might readily accomplish what you're after.

Thanks.

Is there an easy way to link? It seems like I have to look up each individual, and then copy and paste their url from the People page.

m

mparzen@fas.harvard.edu, I presume that you mean you're looking up each individual on your own campus's directory, and then copying and pasting that person's URL into the custom table you are creating as the course home page? If so, then yes--since you're not using a custom application that automatically links to your campus directory, you would have to look up each individual in the directory (or in the Canvas instance, if you're using linked profiles) and copy and paste that person's profile URL into the table. Keeping the directory or People tab open in a separate window might speed up the process.

Did I understand your question correctly and address it satisfactorily? Smiley Happy

Yes that is correct. Thanks

m