Creating Active User Report

Jump to solution
nchild
Community Member

Hello All. How do I run a report to export that shows me all active users by type?

Thank you,

Nikki

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@nchild  

In Canvas, "type" of user is called a "role" and they vary depending on course. You can be a teacher in one course and a student in another course. "Active" users could me a couple of different things as well -- there is an "active" status in Canvas and then there is a person who is actively using Canvas (the first kind is easier to find).

You will need to combine reports to get this information. The reports can be found under Admin > Settings > Reports.

The Provisioning Report can get you a list of all of the users, courses, and their enrollments. Start with the enrollments report, which contains the user_id, course_id, role, and status (active, deleted). From there, you can join the data with the users and courses (and perhaps other) files to fill in the missing data. The users report includes the name and SIS ID of the user. The courses report includes the names of the courses and their status.

Here are a couple of documents I wrote that shows some examples of how to combine the data:

If by active, you mean those who are showing activity, not just those with active enrollments, then there is another admin report that you can combine with the provisioning report. There is a Last Enrollment Activity report and a Last User Access report that can help here. They don't break it down by the course, though, so you won't be able to tell if John is active in Biology but not Math using them. There is also a Zero Activity report which is by course, but you would want to look for people who aren't found in that list.

View solution in original post

0 Likes