cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lowens
Community Member

Creating Modules with the Same Headings

Jump to solution

I have an instructor who created a discussion board prompt and at the top of her prompt her profile picture is showing. I can not find anything regarding why this has happened and have tried to identify any differences between this prompt and others where the profile picture is not showing but haven't been able to identify anything.  Has anyone seen this issue?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lowens
Community Member

I went back in and looked and the one with the profile pic does have the creation date and time and the one without did not.  I stared at it to try and find differences again then started thinking about what you said regarding if it is brought in from another course.  The one without the creation date and time and pic was made from an existing DB example that was part of the shell we released to all faculty to build their courses off of, so in a way it was brought in from another course-the original shell we released.  It appears the instructor used this example DB from the shell to create the first introductions DB, which makes sense, and explains why the next one she did which was created new is behaving differently.  Mystery solved, thanks so much for your help.

~Lee

View solution in original post

5 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @lowens ...

When you create a new discussion topic in a course, your profile picture/avatar typically will show up next to it.  If you had imported a topic from a past course into your current course, that profile picture/avatar may not show up.  For example, if you had imported a discussion topic from someone else's course, you wouldn't normally want that person's picture showing up in your course...because he/she isn't the instructor for that course, and students might be wondering who that person is.  So, in a way, it makes sense that topics imported from other courses wouldn't have the profile picture displayed next to the discussion prompt.

I hope this helps, Lee.  Please let us know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!

lowens
Community Member

That definitely makes sense. In this case though both were created by the instructor, not brought in from another course. We are just now moving to Canvas and creating all content ourselves so I'm not sure why they 2 are behaving differently. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lowens ...

Hmmm... when you click on a discussion topic in the course, you should see the date and the time that the topic was created in the upper right corner (see the very bottom screen shot in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13016-4152724374 for an example).  Were these topics created around the same timeframe?  Also, this is probably a longshot (and not even correct), but what if the instructor created the first topic before she added her profile picture to her Canvas account?  Then, she created the second topic after she added her profile picture.  I would think that the first topic would automatically add the profile picture, but I'm not 100% sure on this.  Just throwing this out there as a remote possibility.

lowens
Community Member

I went back in and looked and the one with the profile pic does have the creation date and time and the one without did not.  I stared at it to try and find differences again then started thinking about what you said regarding if it is brought in from another course.  The one without the creation date and time and pic was made from an existing DB example that was part of the shell we released to all faculty to build their courses off of, so in a way it was brought in from another course-the original shell we released.  It appears the instructor used this example DB from the shell to create the first introductions DB, which makes sense, and explains why the next one she did which was created new is behaving differently.  Mystery solved, thanks so much for your help.

~Lee

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@lowens  Nice Work on finding this out!  I've marked your response as "Correct".