Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natalie_cobb
Community Member

Creating classes out of Preps

Jump to solution

Hello,

My "people" in canvas are grouped by prep, not by class.  For example, I have two classes of USH AP, but both classes are grouped together.  Is there a way to divide into seperate classes?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@natalie_cobb ​...

I'm not sure that I have a good answer for you, but I do have a question...  When in your course, if you go to your "People" tab, in the column labeled "Section", do you see multiple sections listed for the two classes in question?  If this is the case, then the only thing I can think of is that your course may have been cross-listed.  If that is the case, here is a Canvas Guide on how to de-cross-list courses so that the students are put back into their own sections.  How do I de-cross-list a course section in an account?

View solution in original post

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@natalie_cobb ​...

I'm not sure that I have a good answer for you, but I do have a question...  When in your course, if you go to your "People" tab, in the column labeled "Section", do you see multiple sections listed for the two classes in question?  If this is the case, then the only thing I can think of is that your course may have been cross-listed.  If that is the case, here is a Canvas Guide on how to de-cross-list courses so that the students are put back into their own sections.  How do I de-cross-list a course section in an account?

View solution in original post

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@natalie_cobb ​, did  @chofer ​'s advice answer your question?

scottdennis
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Natalie,

To answer your question; yes, there are ways to have each prep appear in its own Canvas course.  What options are available to you depends on how your institution has decided to configure Canvas and to control registration and course management.  One possibility would be to keep the preps in the same course shell but interact with them differently via section management.  Another would be to have two separate course shells created via the integration with your registration system or even via manual enrollment.

We haven't heard back from you for a while so I am going to assume that you no longer have a question about this.  If that isn't the case, please come back and let us know.

Thanks,

SD

jwalden
Surveyor

Everyone who works in a high school has the same question.  The district setup for classes does not work for high school teachers.  

I agree! I can assign assignments or quizzes to sections like p1, p2 (period 1, period 2) but Canvas needs those "groups" to be a group everywhere in the system. Like, I wanted to have a class do presentation in "Collaborate" but I had to add each kid individually to the correct "Group." Having to click on 100 kids twice each is horribly inefficient when it's already been done in the LMS. 

Hi Jennifer,

I'd really recommend that you discuss this with your local canvas administrator or administration.  There is no technical limitation to how students are assigned to courses in Canvas or to sections and groups within one course.  Usually district policies mirror in Canvas what is evident in the student information or registration system to make it easier to post grades back to the SIS but it is technically possible to create differing configurations in Canvas if the administration chooses to do so.