cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spriano
Community Member

Creating discussions in assignments?

Jump to solution

I am trying to manage graded discussions. I am confused about whether I can create the discussion in the assignments section. I have the unpublished discussions in both the Discussions tab and in the Assignments tab. I weighted the discussions so they would show up on grades.

The first attempt was successful whereas my students were able to respond to others comments (threaded) and I was able to grade.

Today, I added a rubric to the second discussion but was unable to check the graded box as no options choice was in the assignments tab.

Can graded, threaded discussions be created in either assignments tab or discussions tab? If not, how should I remove the already created discussions I created under assignments?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@spriano , if you create a discussion in the Assignment page, it will show up on your Discussion page as well. The discussion page has ALL discussions - graded and non-graded. Assignment Page only has graded discussions. My recommendation is double-check the name of your discussion on the Assignment page and then (if you have a lot of discussions), try doing a Ctrl-F (find) on the Discussion page and type in the name of the discussion.

As for the grade being grayed out, that doesn't sound quite right, but could be because of the rubric. I honestly don't remember it being grayed out, but I always use a rubric to grade my discussions. 

Kona

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@spriano , the "Assignment" Index page is where you set-up your gradebook. If you created a graded quiz or discussion they will automatically show up in the Assignment Index page. Yet, you can also create a graded discussion or quiz directly on the Assignments page. When you do this they will also show up under Discussions and Quizzes. When you go to create a discussion from the Assignment page you only get the basic options, but by creating it on the Assignment page, it should automatically be checked as a "graded discussion." If you originally created it under discussions then it could have been graded or not graded. If you want a quick fix, just delete the discussion and recreate it from the Assignment page. If you want a longer fix, send us a screen shot of what your discussion settings look like for the discussion that isn't working correctly - that way we can further trouble-shoot this for you.

Kona

spriano
Community Member

Hello Kona,

Thank you for clarifying the differences between posting a discussion in assignments versus discussion. One more question, I decided to set a rubric for grading on my upcoming assignment. When I went to review the assignment option I realized grading was grayed out. Is this because it is graded via the rubric?

Another thing, when I created the discussion in the assignments tab I don't see that it appears in the discussion tab. Is this to be expected?

Thank you,

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@spriano , if you create a discussion in the Assignment page, it will show up on your Discussion page as well. The discussion page has ALL discussions - graded and non-graded. Assignment Page only has graded discussions. My recommendation is double-check the name of your discussion on the Assignment page and then (if you have a lot of discussions), try doing a Ctrl-F (find) on the Discussion page and type in the name of the discussion.

As for the grade being grayed out, that doesn't sound quite right, but could be because of the rubric. I honestly don't remember it being grayed out, but I always use a rubric to grade my discussions. 

Kona

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
spriano
Community Member

Thank you!