cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Creative Solutions for Discussion-Heavy Courses

Just to get the complaining out of the way, discussions in Canvas are clunky for robust discussions. I'm migrating a course that in D2L had 400 posts each week per discussion. D2L could handle that. In Canvas, that will be a scroll-fest. 

So, having said that, what creative solutions have you come up with to foster robust discussions in your discussion-heavy courses? I want to hear ALL your ideas. Solutions don't have to involve native Canvas tools. 

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

venitk@uwec.edu‌, depending on the nature of the discussion, you might consider a document annotation tool likePerusall

Highlighted
Surveyor

That looks very interesting! We have a lot of PDF docs in the course. I noticed you posted questions at the top of the PDF. Do you find students actually respond to those prompts or do they go rogue and comment on whatever they feel like?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

Also, what do you think of how perusall handles groups? In other words, if I wanted students to break into groups and work on copies of the same document, how well does it work for the instructor to switch between groups?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

An alternative to Perusall is Hypothes.is, which can be loaded directly into a Canvas course as an LTI tool. It creates private groups for each course by default, so student discussions are segmented (you can override this to have a public discussion group, if you want). You can prompt student discussion by adding annotations beforehand or just allow them to go. 

Each student account is also accessible via the Hypothes.is website, so they can keep track of their own annotations across the Internet from one place. 

Labels