cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
howard_martin
Surveyor

Creative solution for embedding from Google Team Drive?

#GoogleTeamDrive #GoogleEmbed 

Encouraging district departments to keep collective documents in Team Drive for long term viability.  One dept created course with embedded Google Docs and it looked nice.  They want to put docs into Team Drive for the ownership reasons.  Well known that current Google LTI doesn't embed from Team Drive.  

Any creative people find a work around that is simple enough for teachers to use without 'massive coding effort'?  

-----back end of story----

Teacher's embedded doc fails to load once moved into Team Drive. When doc moved back to her Drive, the embed automatically shows in embed again.  Not sure if change in owner (move to Team Drive) is what breaks embed or if LTI-created link can be altered in HTML to retain embed after moved to Team Drive.

Also aware that Google Course Kit can solve this, but Course Kit presented us with other problems and I'm unwilling to take those on at this time. 

7 Replies
distance_ed1
Learner II

I just encountered this very issue! It's a major bummer! But there is a solution! You have to use the Publish to Web option!

Select File -> Publish to Web, then click the Publish button. After publishing, copy the Embed code. Paste that in the HTML Editor on the page of your choice! You'll have to add a tiny bit of code to get it to show up at a size that's even remotely usable, but luckily, I've got a quick snippet here that should work!

<iframe src="URL" width="98%" height="800px"></iframe>

That added part in bold will change the size! Let me know if you have any questions or trouble getting it to work!

All the best,
Danielle

I thought of that but was thinking that the usual 'publish to html' option loses margin formatting and such.  But I didn't think about adding the embed frame size.  Thanks for sharing!

Just wanted to add my confirmation:  Publish to HTML was a great idea IF only using text. The Google documents that my teachers were wanting to use have images wrapped in the paragraphs.  When embedding from 'Publish to HTML', the images are inline and no longer wrapped.  The original documents need to fit the page and this embed trick is not a great option for them.

Still looking for Team Drive embed option.

@howard_martin  and  @distance_ed1   — To keep the margin formatting, etc. Swap the URL of the live version for the Publish to Web version. Publish to Web uses a URL that reformats for different screen sizes, etc.

Any time table for Canvas being able to access the Team Drive? I am running into these issues as well. Easily done if we just want students to have view only rights to a document in the Team Drive. I have yet to figure out how to create an assignment using a google product. Any suggestions?

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @howard_martin ...

I am reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I came across your question.  While I don't really have an answer for you, I did want to check in with you because I see this topic hasn't seen any new activity since about the end of June.  It seems that Team Drive may still be an issue for you in Canvas, is this correct?  Have you been able to find any new solutions since June that you'd be willing to share with Community members back here in this topic?  Have you reached out to Google to see if they have any recommendations?  I'm not sure if any of the above responses (including your own) could be marked "Correct" at this time, but please feel free to mark a response as "Correct" if you feel that it has answered your question.  But, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please let us know that as well.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" ... mainly because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since June 24, 2019.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Howard.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

johnmartin
Explorer

Alas, the correct solution would be for Canvas to support Google Shared Drives (aka Team Drives).