cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pholzworth
Surveyor

Cross-list courses after students submit assignments

We are currently using ILP to integrate to Colleague.  After classes began, we were asked to cross-list some courses. When trying to provision the new cross-listed courses through ILP and receive the following error:  

"Course cannot be unpublished if student submissions exist."

Through the ILP process, we are now left with 3-course shells in Canvas - the 2 original courses that were first provisioned and the new cross-listed course.  Now the course shells do not have complete student enrollment because of the above error.  This now makes it cumbersome for the faculty member and students.

Is there a way to create a cross-listed course after a student submits their assignments without the process erroring or students losing them?

Anything you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

D

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cburke
Surveyor

Good Afternoon @pholzworth :

Did you ever get around to solving this?

We are experiencing that same error, except we are currently in the process of implementing the Ellucian ILP solution. Only thing I can think of is to re-name and reassign the SIS IDs to get the sections to map properly. By doing that "dance" of updating names and sis IDs I was able to provision everything, except for the course section.

Thank you.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello @pholzworth ...

Full disclosure...I have no idea what ILP is, so I cannot speak to that.  As you may know, cross-listing two or more courses basically moves enrollments from one course to another.  It does not move content, assignment submissions, etc.  Per these Guides, cross-listing should be done when a course is unpublished:

As I understand it, if you tried to cross-list two courses together, it would not move the student submissions over from one course section to the other.  This is why the Guides state that cross-listing should be done when the course is unpublished...and I would also suggest that it is done before the course starts...to avoid situations like this.

I'm not sure if this will completely help to answer your question, but I wanted to share my $0.02 in case it helps.  Let Community members know if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care...be well.

pholzworth
Surveyor

Hello!

We agree and are working on a schedule for when to cross-list courses with our departments so that we do not run into this issue in the future.

Thanks!

pholzworth
Surveyor

Hi!!

We have decided to do is to work on a schedule for when to cross-list courses with our departments so that we do not run into this issue in the future.  

Thanks!