cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
llampe
Community Member

Cross-listing

Jump to solution

We're using Canvas for the first time this year.  I have three Algebra 2 classes [A2(1), A2(2), and A2(3); all automatically set up through PowerSchool].  Should I make one of the three a "parent" course and cross-list the other two with it, or would it be better to create a fourth Algebra 2 course as "parent" course and cross-list the three real Algebra 2 courses with it?  Or does it not even matter?  Or are there other suggestions? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
John_Lowe
Learner II

In Blackboard, I always created a new course shell (a 4th course in this case).  I tried that our first semester using Canvas as well, but what I found was that it just delayed the process of cross-listing because people had to wait on me to create that extra course shell.  Now, we just encourage faculty to do their own cross-listing into one of their existing course shells.  In this case, I'd encourage the instructor to cross list Algebra 02 and Algebra 03 into the existing Algebra 01 course and use it like a parent course shell.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
John_Lowe
Learner II

In Blackboard, I always created a new course shell (a 4th course in this case).  I tried that our first semester using Canvas as well, but what I found was that it just delayed the process of cross-listing because people had to wait on me to create that extra course shell.  Now, we just encourage faculty to do their own cross-listing into one of their existing course shells.  In this case, I'd encourage the instructor to cross list Algebra 02 and Algebra 03 into the existing Algebra 01 course and use it like a parent course shell.

View solution in original post

llampe
Community Member

Thanks!  That's just the information I needed.