cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jms552
Community Member

Custom Audio button?

Is there a way to make an image a custom play button an audio clip? stefaniesanders

5 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@jms552 ​, I've never done it, so I'd have to play with it and see. In the meantime, I'll share your question with the Instructional Designers​ group; someone clever person there probably knows the answer right off the bat! Smiley Happy

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Oh, and in the meantime, enjoy reading this somewhat related thread: Unfortunate Audio Icon Needs Replacing

stephanie_pope
Community Member

We attempted this with our Chinese 4 course. We created play buttons that linked to an audio file. Turns out, an image can't be linked to an audio file to automatically play. Instead, it will present a download option of the audio file. I had to manually remove every play button and every html code that launched the download.

I'm wondering if a master coder can't find a solution for this. We were in emergency mode when we "fixed" ours. But a Canvas tech did inform me about not being able to link images to an audio file.

Who is up for the challenge?

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

OK,  @jms552 ​, the only way I could think of to accomplish this was by hosting the audio file(s) on an external server. I tested this in a Canvas page, and it works just fine. If you have the capability to upload the files to a server, once you have harvested the web link to the file from the server, you can use the Link to URL feature in the RCE to create a clickable image (and if I were designing it, I'd use the target="_blank" attribute, or just CTRL-K the link, to force the audio to open in a new tab or window).

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jms552 ​,

Where you able to find an answer to your question?  It does not look like the users community has any experience with this application.  I am going to go ahead and mark this question as assumed answered.  This will not prevent anyone from replying or finding this question.

Robbie