Data Using Outcomes in a Rubric?

Jump to solution
alycia_yates
Community Novice

Our art department needs to create a common assessment in which all of the disciplines can get data to track. We have decided to use two outcomes that I always use in my project rubrics. 

The question is if there is any way to just track the data of these outcomes from our rubrics without having to do them "manually". We were hoping the magic of technology could save us a lot of work!

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@nwilson7 , I think  @alycia_yates  is asking about the ability to pull the data out of the rubrics after they are completed so that they can be tracked. I am unsure of whether Alycia is using "Outcome" in the same way that Canvas does or in a more generic way to just mean results.

Canvas provides methods for tracking outcomes (as they define them). Nick mentioned some of those.

Setting them up at the account level will make the process work much smoother. You can set this up at the sub-account level as well, but this would require that all of your art classes be part of the same sub-account. You may want to see the Outcomes section in the Canvas Admin Guide for information about how to setup outcomes at the account level. 

You can also pull outcome results out of Canvas through the REST API. I did this a couple of years ago when I wasn't happy with the reporting that Canvas gave me. I ended up pulling it into Excel and writing my own reports.

If each instructor takes it upon themselves to create the rubrics with the desired results within the course, then there's no easy way to combine them together. You don't have to use Canvas "outcomes" to make this happen, you're just getting the results of a rubric. The problem is that they have different ID numbers and you have to cross-reference them when you analyze them. You can get the data, but the combining it into something useful is very challenging and not at all trivial.

View solution in original post